Feb 29, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
One way for the Angels to lessen their first base/corner outfield/designated hitter logjam would be to have stud prospect Mike Trout begin the season in the minors and it sure sounds like manager Mike Scioscia thinks that would be a smart idea.
Vernon Wells, Peter Bourjos, and Torii Hunter are cemented as the Angels’ starting outfield, Albert Pujols is obviously the starting first baseman, and Bobby Abreu and (if healthy) Kendrys Morales will have to fight over designated hitter playing time. And then there’s still Mark Trumbo, who’ll have to be included in that mix if his conversion to third base goes poorly.
That doesn’t leave much room for Trout–although obviously plenty of Angels fans would vote in favor of him replacing Wells–and Scioscia told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times that “he’s not a finished product” and it might take an injury for the 20-year-old to get “an opportunity” coming out of spring training.
For his part Trout said all the right things when asked about potentially beginning the season in the minors:
If they put me in Salt Lake or wherever, I’m going to accept that. I wouldn’t be disappointed at all. I’m still young. It just makes you want to work harder.
Salt Lake is the Angels’ Triple-A affiliate and it’s worth noting that Trout skipped the level completely while jumping from Double-A to the majors. He’s also 20 years old and struggled somewhat in his 40-game debut, so sending him to Triple-A for a couple months wouldn’t be the worst thing for Trout’s long-term development even if a positional logjam determining his plans isn’t ideal.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)