Feb 29, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
One way for the Angels to lessen their first base/corner outfield/designated hitter logjam would be to have stud prospect Mike Trout begin the season in the minors and it sure sounds like manager Mike Scioscia thinks that would be a smart idea.
Vernon Wells, Peter Bourjos, and Torii Hunter are cemented as the Angels’ starting outfield, Albert Pujols is obviously the starting first baseman, and Bobby Abreu and (if healthy) Kendrys Morales will have to fight over designated hitter playing time. And then there’s still Mark Trumbo, who’ll have to be included in that mix if his conversion to third base goes poorly.
That doesn’t leave much room for Trout–although obviously plenty of Angels fans would vote in favor of him replacing Wells–and Scioscia told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times that “he’s not a finished product” and it might take an injury for the 20-year-old to get “an opportunity” coming out of spring training.
For his part Trout said all the right things when asked about potentially beginning the season in the minors:
If they put me in Salt Lake or wherever, I’m going to accept that. I wouldn’t be disappointed at all. I’m still young. It just makes you want to work harder.
Salt Lake is the Angels’ Triple-A affiliate and it’s worth noting that Trout skipped the level completely while jumping from Double-A to the majors. He’s also 20 years old and struggled somewhat in his 40-game debut, so sending him to Triple-A for a couple months wouldn’t be the worst thing for Trout’s long-term development even if a positional logjam determining his plans isn’t ideal.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 38
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)