Feb 29, 2012, 5:55 PM EST
It’s probably not coming this week, but the Brewers could soon have closer John Axford locked up through his arbitration years, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.
Assistant GM Gord Ash said the two sides have been negotiating since Axford reported to spring training, and while a deal isn’t close yet, progress has been made.
All of the conversations have been very pleasant. I don’t want to get into too much detail because we don’t negotiate through the press, but the game plan is to get this one year in place and then take the balance of spring training to talk (about a multi-year deal).
Barring a trip back to the minors, Axford will be eligible for arbitration as a super-two player after this season. He didn’t spend all of 2010 in the majors, so he won’t be a free agent until after 2016.
Axford tied for the NL lead with 46 saves in 48 opportunities last season. He had a 1.95 ERA and 86 strikeouts in 73 2/3 innings.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)