Bummer: Bryce Harper has deleted his Twitter account

Feb 29, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT

Washington Nationals Photo Day Getty Images

It’s a sad day when a cocksure young man who doesn’t have the best filter in the world decides that having a forum to instantly share his opinions is not a good idea.  But, alas, that day has come. Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com:

This may qualify as the biggest news of Nationals camp so far: Bryce Harper has deleted his Twitter account … Why did Harper delete the account last night? “I just wanted to,” the 19-year-old outfielder said. “I was done.”

As a blogger, I’m really angry about this.  And there are people who I am going to blame for this.  The Nationals and Scott Boras, mainly.  How DARE they impress upon young Harper that his maturity and professionalism will reflect on the organization and impact his perception among fans and sponsors?  And how DARE Harper listen to what they had to say and take their counsel?

Does anyone care that I would have gotten a good half dozen posts out of ill-advised Harper tweets in 2012 alone?  Why must we make our children grow up so fast? We lose so much when that happens.

Damn.  In other news, does anyone know if Jorge Soler has a Twitter account?  Asking for a friend.

1. phukyouk - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM

SPEAKING of twitter…. when will you be bringing back your “you asked..” posts?

• foreverchipper10 - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I have been on that horse for awhile. To no avail. I even made a twitter account.

2. sdelmonte - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Maybe he has a Tumblr account? Or Vimeo?

• acheron2112 - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Or Pinterest?

• sdelmonte - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Just looked at that site for the first time. Yet another way to waste time and spend money. Perfect for a young athlete.

• hasbeen5 - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM

instead of actually going to the site, I’m going to ask this here. What is this Pinterest stuff i keep hearing about?

• hasbeen5 - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:26 AM

People post a lot of pics on Tumblr. Mixing a forum for easily uploaded pictures and a “cocksure young man” may be much worse than letting him type 140 stupid characters every now and then.

• scatterbrian - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM

A picture is worth 5000 characters.

3. stex52 - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Smart move, kid. Let your bat talk for a couple of years. Then you can say anything you want to anyone you want and people will eat it up.

4. thenaturalmevs - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:13 AM

He’ll be back.

5. chiadam - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM

My thoughts on Twitter:
    1. If you post on Twitter, you’re a narcissist and probably a bad person. Almost no one cares what you think, where you’re going, what you’re eating or that you just woke up.
    2. If you are one of the people that cares what someone else ate, where they went, what they’re doing, or when they woke up, you’re probably a loser.

Sorry. I HATE Twitter. It only exists as a vehicle for famous people to say something stupid and then blame it on cyber gremlins.

• 18thstreet - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Hey, no one’s forcing you to spend time there. But you have no idea what you’re talking about or why I (at least) use twitter. It has nothing to do with the stuff you mentioned.

• scatterbrian - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:15 PM

The key is being selective with whom you follow. I mainly just follow comedians and comedy writers….they just tell you jokes all day.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto