Feb 29, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
It’s a sad day when a cocksure young man who doesn’t have the best filter in the world decides that having a forum to instantly share his opinions is not a good idea. But, alas, that day has come. Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com:
This may qualify as the biggest news of Nationals camp so far: Bryce Harper has deleted his Twitter account … Why did Harper delete the account last night? “I just wanted to,” the 19-year-old outfielder said. “I was done.”
As a blogger, I’m really angry about this. And there are people who I am going to blame for this. The Nationals and Scott Boras, mainly. How DARE they impress upon young Harper that his maturity and professionalism will reflect on the organization and impact his perception among fans and sponsors? And how DARE Harper listen to what they had to say and take their counsel?
Does anyone care that I would have gotten a good half dozen posts out of ill-advised Harper tweets in 2012 alone? Why must we make our children grow up so fast? We lose so much when that happens.
Damn. In other news, does anyone know if Jorge Soler has a Twitter account? Asking for a friend.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)