Feb 29, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
It’s a sad day when a cocksure young man who doesn’t have the best filter in the world decides that having a forum to instantly share his opinions is not a good idea. But, alas, that day has come. Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com:
This may qualify as the biggest news of Nationals camp so far: Bryce Harper has deleted his Twitter account … Why did Harper delete the account last night? “I just wanted to,” the 19-year-old outfielder said. “I was done.”
As a blogger, I’m really angry about this. And there are people who I am going to blame for this. The Nationals and Scott Boras, mainly. How DARE they impress upon young Harper that his maturity and professionalism will reflect on the organization and impact his perception among fans and sponsors? And how DARE Harper listen to what they had to say and take their counsel?
Does anyone care that I would have gotten a good half dozen posts out of ill-advised Harper tweets in 2012 alone? Why must we make our children grow up so fast? We lose so much when that happens.
Damn. In other news, does anyone know if Jorge Soler has a Twitter account? Asking for a friend.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (152)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)