Feb 29, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
It’s a sad day when a cocksure young man who doesn’t have the best filter in the world decides that having a forum to instantly share his opinions is not a good idea. But, alas, that day has come. Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com:
This may qualify as the biggest news of Nationals camp so far: Bryce Harper has deleted his Twitter account … Why did Harper delete the account last night? “I just wanted to,” the 19-year-old outfielder said. “I was done.”
As a blogger, I’m really angry about this. And there are people who I am going to blame for this. The Nationals and Scott Boras, mainly. How DARE they impress upon young Harper that his maturity and professionalism will reflect on the organization and impact his perception among fans and sponsors? And how DARE Harper listen to what they had to say and take their counsel?
Does anyone care that I would have gotten a good half dozen posts out of ill-advised Harper tweets in 2012 alone? Why must we make our children grow up so fast? We lose so much when that happens.
Damn. In other news, does anyone know if Jorge Soler has a Twitter account? Asking for a friend.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (121)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)