Feb 29, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
It’s a sad day when a cocksure young man who doesn’t have the best filter in the world decides that having a forum to instantly share his opinions is not a good idea. But, alas, that day has come. Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com:
This may qualify as the biggest news of Nationals camp so far: Bryce Harper has deleted his Twitter account … Why did Harper delete the account last night? “I just wanted to,” the 19-year-old outfielder said. “I was done.”
As a blogger, I’m really angry about this. And there are people who I am going to blame for this. The Nationals and Scott Boras, mainly. How DARE they impress upon young Harper that his maturity and professionalism will reflect on the organization and impact his perception among fans and sponsors? And how DARE Harper listen to what they had to say and take their counsel?
Does anyone care that I would have gotten a good half dozen posts out of ill-advised Harper tweets in 2012 alone? Why must we make our children grow up so fast? We lose so much when that happens.
Damn. In other news, does anyone know if Jorge Soler has a Twitter account? Asking for a friend.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 9
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 43
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)