Feb 29, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Shortly after Yadier Molina and the Cardinals agreed to a five-year, $75 million deal that will keep him from hitting the open market next offseason fellow impending free agent catcher Miguel Montero and the Diamondbacks announced that they’ve stopped negotiating a long-term extension.
While standing alongside Montero at a podium general manager Kevin Towers told reporters that they were “unable to find common ground” and will revisit things after the season.
Of course, at that point Montero won’t have any incentive to sign long term because he’ll be eligible for free agency, so if the two sides are indeed ruling out an extension before then his odds of staying in Arizona beyond 2012 seemingly just took a major hit.
Montero is coming off a career-year, hitting .282 with 18 homers and an .820 OPS while making his first All-Star team at age 27. He also led the NL by throwing out 40 percent of steal attempts and combined during the past three seasons Montero has an .812 OPS compared to .745 for Molina.
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 2
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 37
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)