Feb 29, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
There was some mystery surrounding Franklin Gutierrez‘s health status yesterday after he hopped into a car with the team trainer and left camp while general manager Jack Zduriencik declined to comment on the situation.
It turns out Gutierrez injured his right pectoral muscle while making throws from the outfield and went for an MRI exam, the results of which the Mariners haven’t gotten back yet.
Prior to the injury yesterday Gutierrez was creating a lot of optimism in camp following a season in which he lost 25 pounds, missed 70 games, and wasn’t himself when in the lineup while dealing with major stomach problems and an oblique strain.
He’s put the weight back on and was looking good, so hopefully the pectoral injury proves to be a minor roadblock.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (185)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)