Feb 29, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
There was some mystery surrounding Franklin Gutierrez‘s health status yesterday after he hopped into a car with the team trainer and left camp while general manager Jack Zduriencik declined to comment on the situation.
It turns out Gutierrez injured his right pectoral muscle while making throws from the outfield and went for an MRI exam, the results of which the Mariners haven’t gotten back yet.
Prior to the injury yesterday Gutierrez was creating a lot of optimism in camp following a season in which he lost 25 pounds, missed 70 games, and wasn’t himself when in the lineup while dealing with major stomach problems and an oblique strain.
He’s put the weight back on and was looking good, so hopefully the pectoral injury proves to be a minor roadblock.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)