Feb 29, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
There was some mystery surrounding Franklin Gutierrez‘s health status yesterday after he hopped into a car with the team trainer and left camp while general manager Jack Zduriencik declined to comment on the situation.
It turns out Gutierrez injured his right pectoral muscle while making throws from the outfield and went for an MRI exam, the results of which the Mariners haven’t gotten back yet.
Prior to the injury yesterday Gutierrez was creating a lot of optimism in camp following a season in which he lost 25 pounds, missed 70 games, and wasn’t himself when in the lineup while dealing with major stomach problems and an oblique strain.
He’s put the weight back on and was looking good, so hopefully the pectoral injury proves to be a minor roadblock.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (226)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)