Feb 29, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
There was some mystery surrounding Franklin Gutierrez‘s health status yesterday after he hopped into a car with the team trainer and left camp while general manager Jack Zduriencik declined to comment on the situation.
It turns out Gutierrez injured his right pectoral muscle while making throws from the outfield and went for an MRI exam, the results of which the Mariners haven’t gotten back yet.
Prior to the injury yesterday Gutierrez was creating a lot of optimism in camp following a season in which he lost 25 pounds, missed 70 games, and wasn’t himself when in the lineup while dealing with major stomach problems and an oblique strain.
He’s put the weight back on and was looking good, so hopefully the pectoral injury proves to be a minor roadblock.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)