Feb 29, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
There was some mystery surrounding Franklin Gutierrez‘s health status yesterday after he hopped into a car with the team trainer and left camp while general manager Jack Zduriencik declined to comment on the situation.
It turns out Gutierrez injured his right pectoral muscle while making throws from the outfield and went for an MRI exam, the results of which the Mariners haven’t gotten back yet.
Prior to the injury yesterday Gutierrez was creating a lot of optimism in camp following a season in which he lost 25 pounds, missed 70 games, and wasn’t himself when in the lineup while dealing with major stomach problems and an oblique strain.
He’s put the weight back on and was looking good, so hopefully the pectoral injury proves to be a minor roadblock.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 127
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 234
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (234)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)