Feb 29, 2012, 8:12 PM EDT
Gutierrez suffered the injury Tuesday while making a throw during a drill and flew to Seattle on Wednesday to get a full examination from team doctors.
Gutierrez will be in a sling for the next 5-7 days and won’t be allowed to perform baseball activities for the next four weeks. He’s certain to miss the start of the season, and could be out until mid- or late-May depending on how quickly he can get back up to speed.
Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik told Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times that Michael Saunders, Casper Wells and Chone Figgins are being considered as temporary replacements for the 29-year-old center fielder. The organization plans to address the absence internally.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 32
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 20
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)