Feb 29, 2012, 8:12 PM EST
Gutierrez suffered the injury Tuesday while making a throw during a drill and flew to Seattle on Wednesday to get a full examination from team doctors.
Gutierrez will be in a sling for the next 5-7 days and won’t be allowed to perform baseball activities for the next four weeks. He’s certain to miss the start of the season, and could be out until mid- or late-May depending on how quickly he can get back up to speed.
Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik told Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times that Michael Saunders, Casper Wells and Chone Figgins are being considered as temporary replacements for the 29-year-old center fielder. The organization plans to address the absence internally.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 10
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 62
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4