Jayson Werth, back spasms, and the life of a beat reporter

Feb 29, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT

Sure, writing about baseball for a living is great, but for a beat reporter having to ask players for updates on their injuries every day isn’t quite as fun, especially when they react like Jayson Werth did this morning:

Imagine that interaction taking place in any other situation. Good times! (In fairness, Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post later wrote that he’s “never had a problem with Werth” and “many clam up on injuries.”

Oh, and shortly after that lovely exchange the Nationals announced that Werth would be sitting out his second straight day of workouts because of the injury.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Asked how Werth felt about sitting out, he said “Whatever, shut up” and lit a cigarette, only to put it out on the reporter’s forehead.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM

And subsequently trudged off into the woods to be with his Yeti clan

• Utley's Hair - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Or:

And subsequently tore off his clothes while baying at the moon

• cur68 - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Maybe the reporter had a Geico t-shirt on?

• Utley's Hair - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

And subsequently went to get Luke Scott’s spears to go mammoth hunting

• cur68 - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Oh, jeez. Him & Scott went after Albert Belle? Crime really doesn’t pay…

2. ryanindusblue - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Back injuries suck.

3. yodougmurphy - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Jayson, how’s the back? “I ain’t sayin’ nothin.”

What do I tell the trainer? “Tell him to suck a lemon.”

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Johnny Tightlips FTW!

• phukyouk - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Whoa! who said i got a mutha?

4. kingjoe1 - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Well known here in philly and openingly discussed by the media that Werth was not very media friendly, nor fan friendly. To each his own.

5. randygnyc - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I have an incredibly negative, visceral reaction just to thought of Werth’s name. Ever since I saw him scream at the fan alongside his young child, I have hoped for Jayson to lose the function of his legs, until his late 30’s, and after his baseball retirement. There is nobody in MLB I hate more.

6. yankeesgameday - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Dude, I’ve had back spasms three times in the last year. Each time the pain has lasted for weeks. It’s 24/7 of being uncomfortable to agonizing with every small move you make. And it gets reality depressing at times because you think it won’t ever get better. My wife has asked me how my back felt and more than once I’ve told her “i dont care anymore.”

Cut werth some slack on this one.

• aceshigh11 - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I’m gonna agree with you on that one.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3043)