Kendrys Morales plans to begin running bases next week

Feb 29, 2012, 7:23 PM EDT

morales getty Getty Images

Kendrys Morales is ready for a big step forward.

According to beat writer Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, the Angels slugger told reporters in spring camp Wednesday that he is planning to begin running the bases next week.

Morales has progressed recently from straight-line jogging to taking zig-zag cuts, and has experienced no issues with the ankle that he fractured during a walkoff home run celebration nearly two years ago.

He’s on pace to be nearly 100 percent by the start of the 2012 regular season.

“Every day I’m feeling better,” Morales said through an interpreter. “My strength is getting better, I’m getting better push off my legs, and I’ve had no next-day soreness.”

Morales will serve as Anaheim’s primary designated hitter this season if his left ankle cooperates.

1. SmackSaw - Feb 29, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Oh please be healthy please be healthy please be healthy…

2. yankeesgameday - Feb 29, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I’ll call the emt

3. lyon810 - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Giancarlo Morales

4. kingbuccaneer - Mar 1, 2012 at 1:00 AM

He’ll never be the same again. Worst freak injury I’ve ever seen in (or after) a game.

• judahbenhur - Mar 1, 2012 at 6:32 PM

No offense, but that’s really an ignorant thing to say. If his ankle is healed and he has flexibility and strength without pain… which is the case, why wouldn’t this special hitter be able to rebound? He’s about to enter his prime and should get better, not regress. Especially with Pujols hitting in front of him and Hunter, Trumbo and Wells behind him.

5. judahbenhur - Mar 1, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Hallelujah!!!!! Morales could put up bigger numbers than Pujols. What an offensive force they will have now with the two of them dropped into the three and four slots.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2911)