Luke Scott on Red Sox fans: “They’re ruthless and vulgar”

Feb 29, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Rays Photo Day Getty Images

Luke Scott made headlines last year for his comments about Barack Obama and already this week he’s brought seven-foot-long, pig-killing spears into the Rays clubhouse and expressed his hatred for communists, so today he shifted his attention to Red Sox fans.

He doesn’t like them either, as Scott told Bill Chastain of MLB.com:

Just their arrogance. The fans come in and they take over the city. They’re ruthless. They’re vulgar. They cause trouble. They talk about your family. Swear at you. Who likes that? When people do that, it just gives you more incentive to beat them. Then when things like [the last game of last season] happen, you celebrate even more. You go to St. Louis–classiest fans in the game. You do well, there’s no vulgarity. You know what? You don’t wish them bad.

When it comes to people who should be lecturing other people on civility I’m sure Luke Scott is near the top of everyone’s list.

1. drewzducks - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I can only assume he was referring to Matt Damon, John Kerry and the pickled corpse of Ted Kennedy.

2. neelyisgod - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Who is Luke Scott?

3. bosox619 - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:35 PM

There are shitty fans in every ballpark, arena, stadium what have you. Thats what makes sports lime Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey and Soccer so fun. Yeah some fans are the normal shit talkers that say you suck and you couldn’t hit water if you fell out of boat: those fans are ok. Unfortunately there are assholes out the that make it their personal responsibility to mother f*** you up and down the the yard all day long. But they’re not just in Beantown. They are in every major sporting venue in american sports. As Americans, we talk shit… Some take it too far. But face it… We can talk shit with the best of them. Anywhere, anytime to anyone. So if can handle some shit talk, let it go in one ear and out the other, i suggest you find a new profession. I heard Tennis is pretty quiet.

• jimbo1949 - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Golf

4. kappy32 - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Why shouldn’t he be lecturing people on civility? Is it because he spoke his mind, albeit outlandishly, about the Messiah Obama? Obama is a failure as President & there is nothing wrong with speaking out against him. Keep your liberalism to yourself.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 1, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Um…he spoke his mind? Claiming he wasn’t born on US soil after those pathetic, racist claims were proven to be completely false is not, in fact, speaking his mind. Had he actually said anything about his performance, you might have a leg to stand on. But based on what he said, you’re an idiot. He is entitled to his opinions, ill-informed ones or not, but not his own facts.

• vomitingliberals - Mar 1, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Racist claims? Stupid yes, but racist? I don’t recall Luke using any language in this regard that could in any way be labeled “racist”. Heck, I’ve heard some people try to say the same thing about Marco Rubio (Senator-Florida), that he wasn’t born in America and cannot ever consider a run at the White House, and whether true or false, as a Hispanic-American myself, I do not find these claims to be the product of racial motivation. You know, we are NEVER going to move beyond the issue of race in this country if we continue to allow ourselves to see the illusion of race in every criticism of an ethnic minority. I understand that the left (government, universities, and media) want to keep the divide alive and well so as to foster rage, aquire votes, and socially engineer this society, but at some point we need to wake up, grow up, and look to character in place of skin color. I’m with MLK on that!

• Utley's Hair - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Yes, racist. The whole birther movement is a racist agenda propagated by the right-wing-nut media. So, he subscribed (past tense as I hope he has acquired some sort of common sense in the meantime) to the birther gospel, which is racist, which makes his claims racist. So, yes, his claims were racist. If you don’t agree, that is on you, but you and the rest of the dildoheads might want to crawl out from under Limpbonehead’s moob once in a while.

• oceansunphinsfan - Mar 2, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Hey Utley,

You haven’t given one shred of evidence (or any single example) to support your assertion that the “birther movement” or any other individual for that matter is racist. All you have done is drop the race card andmake fun of the dead. This is very typical of liberals who cannot provide a cogent response to facts they disagree with. You are full of ignorant ad hominem attacks and absent of all substance. I guess that’s easy to do when you can hide behind a keyboard and express your intolerance at leftwing websites like this one. Pathetic but not at all unsurprising.

5. ray1950 - Mar 1, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Why is anyone paying attention to a guy who, in seven seasons, has stroked a less than impressive 592 hits while striking out 519 times? With numbers like that, he’d be smarter to keep quiet instead of drawing attention to himself. By the way, when Boston fans visit Baltimore, they usually outnumber Orioles’ fans … and they draw very well in Tampa, too. So be ready, Luke :)

6. vomitingliberals - Mar 1, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Obama is a disgraceful failure as President! He’s actually managed to do worse than the idiot Bush did, outspending in 3 years what Bushie boy spent in 8, together bringing this nation to the brink of an economic depression that may still yet come (nevermind the damage Bahney Fwank & Christopher Dodd did to us via Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac)! God help us if Barry gets another 4 years after this one to continue the disaster! Minus the “birther” garbage, I’m not not bothered by Luke Scott’s opinion of Obama and/or communists. He’s right, communists do suck!!! Irresponsible, big spending, government elites are every bit as bad or worse than any wall street crook. If you truly trust that the federal government has your best interests in mind then you are a fool!

• aceshigh11 - Mar 1, 2012 at 11:55 AM

You have no understanding of the word “communist.”

Obama isn’t even a liberal.

But sorry for you, pal…you ARE going to get four more years of the black guy. Deal with it…or better yet, grab a rope and join your pal, Breitbart, in hell.

• vomitingliberals - Mar 2, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Wow! So I’m a racist now? You just confirmed every negative stereotype conservatives use against liberals. So typical and rather boring. Next time, try to be a little more enlightening… and classy. I understand that doing so is at total odds with your inherent knee-jerk inclination for defamation and intolerance for opposing views as this is a problem for all those of your ilk, but do try. It will benefit your cause greatly for your arguments to at least carry the veneer of intellectual honesty and general decency.

Oh, and seeing that hell is reserved for those who reject Jesus Christ and continue to live in complete rebellion to God, I am more than comfortable with my prospects of avoiding it as an eternal destination. Are you?

Have a nice day!

• aceshigh11 - Mar 2, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I have no interest in discussing religious fairy tales you. You can continue to believe that nonsense if you wish.

I should have initially been clearer: I only wish there were a hell for Breitbart to be burning in for what he did to my country.

I do feel bad for his wife and children, though. 43 is too young for anyone to go, even for someone that I despised on every level.

But getting back to your nonsensical post: you conservatives are the epitome of projection.

Attempting to be civil with you people is pointless, because conservatives consider good manners “weakness”…the only thing right-wingers understand is pure, blunt force. Most liberals don’t understand that, which is why they’ve been getting steamrolled by the vicious right-wing for the last 32 years.

Now again: prove to us all that Obama is a communist. Show that assertion to be factual. I’ll save you the effort: you can’t do it, because he’s nothing of the sort.

And as far as your Frank/Dodd: that’s just more right-wing boilerplate talking points. You’ve just heard that repeated on Fox News and AM hate radio so often that you mindlessly regurgitate it without investigating its veracity.

Now, I have no love for either of them…they were both sellouts and corporate shills, but the simple fact remains that Fannie/Freddie were NOT the causes of our financial collapse.

7. daveydawg - Mar 1, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Who is Luke Scott?

8. scribebob - Mar 1, 2012 at 8:07 AM

It’s sad that so many people commenting on Luke Scott’s ugly comments aren’t schooled enough on what’s going on in this country to truly understand the full scope of President Obama’s masterful accomplishments in the past three years. He literally pulled this country out of the abyss and single-handedly saved it from economic disaster with his stimulus plan and his bailout of the auto industry. He has done all that he promised, other than the things that the Republicans’ stubborn “get-the-Prez” policy have prevented. One day all of the doubters will read in the history books how Obama’s contributions to America in a time of incredible peril will mark him as one of the great presidents of all time during his eight years. As to Luke, he will go down in history…..and down…..and down…

9. einfante666 - Mar 1, 2012 at 8:49 AM

what else is new? They think they know everything but don’t. Idiots.

10. mf44srq - Mar 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Sorry, but as a Rays fan, I will not go to Red Sox games because some (not all) of the Sox fans get so bleepin’ drunk and obnoxious, that it completely ruins the experience. The last thing my kids need to see if me doing is choking some drunken Mass-Hole before I throw him off the top deck…

• 18thstreet - Mar 1, 2012 at 11:05 AM

That’s really terrible to hear. I don’t go to games involving Philadelphia teams for exactly this reason. Well, other than the choking part.

I wish the ushers would step up when these so-called fans common sense fails them. They really ruin the experience for normal people.

11. aceshigh11 - Mar 1, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Ruthless?

This, coming from an unstable, mentally-stunted, reactionary shitkicker who buys into the openly-racist “birther” movement.

You think we’re vulgar? FUCK YOU.

How’s that for vulgar, you redneck cunt?

• ericbleedspurple - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Who really cares about Luke or his comments? I’m bothered that universities are lumped inn with the media & government. What university did you attend? I agree that the left has its agenda but it’s no different from the right’s agenda of promoting an atmosphere of hate & fear. Most intelligent Americans regardless of party affiliation don’t agree with every policy or belief of their party. Most of us are closer to the middle & not to the extreme left or right. People see race when one’s country of origin is questioned because that question is only directed toward those who don’t look or sound like they are of European decent. It’s not politically correct anymore to speak of race. It’s such a dirty word. I’m a democrat & a Christian who is to the center of my party. I’m just glad Jesus is a liberal who offers forgiveness to all as well as died for ALL despite not one deserving it.

• ericbleedspurple - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:09 AM

* descent* not decent

• aceshigh11 - Mar 2, 2012 at 8:33 AM

I care because I watch baseball to get away from politics for a few hours at a time.

I’m a political junkie, and a liberal. I realize that there are a lot of conservative jocks in pro sports, and they certainly have a right to their opinions, but a guy like Scott, who spews hateful far-right conspiracy theories and uses quasi-violent imagery, takes it beyond the pale.

Do we REALLY need that kind of nonsense?

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Aces: You think you might be going off the deep end a bit? I realize you have been on here posting for quite sometime. Others will assume you are a 17 year old kid hiding behind your computer as a result of your “rainbow in the sky” politics and potty mouth.

• aceshigh11 - Mar 2, 2012 at 7:07 PM

And Luke Scott ISN’T over-the-top?

Why should I pull my punches with this idiot? The only thing conservatives understand is pure blunt force, rage and hatred.

Trying to reason or be civil with them doesn’t work; they view that as a weakness and it only makes them bully more.

• aceshigh11 - Mar 2, 2012 at 7:11 PM

And Luke Scott ISN’T already off the deep end?

Conservatives have no use for civility or respect; they view those traits as weakness and it only makes them bully people more.

Luke Scott intensely hates people who share my beliefs. I’m simply returning the favor.

12. david13z - Mar 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Luke.your anger is misdirected. Ask yourself: Why are there so many Red Sox fans in attendance on the road, especially in Baltimore. Why are there so many seats available. The Orioles have been mismanaged for 15 years. They field sub .500 teams annually. Their fan base has dwindled. They are making attempting to correct this. Obviously, not offering you a contract is a good start.

For all the yahoos who turn the comments section of the Bleacher Report into a political statement, please remove your collective heads from your asses. This is a place for people to make stupid comments about sports. There are plenty of sites online for you to vent your political leanings to the Neanderthal masses.

Orioles turn AL East on its head