Luke Scott on Red Sox fans: “They’re ruthless and vulgar”

Feb 29, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Rays Photo Day Getty Images

Luke Scott made headlines last year for his comments about Barack Obama and already this week he’s brought seven-foot-long, pig-killing spears into the Rays clubhouse and expressed his hatred for communists, so today he shifted his attention to Red Sox fans.

He doesn’t like them either, as Scott told Bill Chastain of MLB.com:

Just their arrogance. The fans come in and they take over the city. They’re ruthless. They’re vulgar. They cause trouble. They talk about your family. Swear at you. Who likes that? When people do that, it just gives you more incentive to beat them. Then when things like [the last game of last season] happen, you celebrate even more. You go to St. Louis–classiest fans in the game. You do well, there’s no vulgarity. You know what? You don’t wish them bad.

When it comes to people who should be lecturing other people on civility I’m sure Luke Scott is near the top of everyone’s list.

1. 18thstreet - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I hope he enjoys playing in the quiet solitude Tropicana Stadium. No one to break his concentration there.

• crashdog - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Actually that place is pretty loud come playoff time. Sox fans should remember that from ’08

• 18thstreet - Mar 1, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Sure, the cow bells really made it loud. Maybe they could hand out fog horns next really and REALLY make some noise.

• 18thstreet - Mar 1, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Sure, the cow bells really made it loud. Maybe they could hand out fog horns next time and REALLY make some noise.

2. sportsdrenched.com - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I think my new goal is rock some lamb chops like that before Opening Day.

As for what he actually said…well he’s an athlete so he has an outlet for his opinion. At least he says how he feels. I have more respect for Scott than the players that talk but don’t really say anything.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Minus his questionable political views, sure. But everyone’s entitled to their opinion and I’m tired of generic comments, that’s for sure.

• 0fficerjimlahey - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM

So, you’re a communist?

3. phukyouk - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:53 PM

i hope.. HOPE HOPE HOPE that he somehow gets traded to the Sox this season. HOPE!

• SmackSaw - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:11 PM

He does seem like a Bobby V. kinda guy.

4. randomdigits - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:53 PM

You yourself stated how polite he was at the winter meetings right before the reporter asked him about the president.

Just because you disagree with him about politics doesn’t mean he isn’t civil.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:05 PM

You can disagree with a President’s politics without being a birther nut like Scott is. Also, what’s civil about calling black teammates monkeys, and/or throwing plantain chips at them to let them know they are acting “apish”?

• randomdigits - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Give me evidence of him using the term “apish”. Him and Pie got along very well together by all accounts.

You can also be a “birther nut” and still be civil. Civility isn’t about views, its about behavior.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM

“So I throw bananas in his helmet. Here are my banana chips to remind him that whenever he acts like an animal

• randomdigits - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Which is not calling him “apish”. Sorry for being exacting here but there is a racial element that you are trying to add that there is no evidence of.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Apologies, he never said apish. He just referred to a Dominican teammate as an animal, a savage, and throws fried banana chips at him.

But again I apologize, he didn’t call him apish…

5. Stacey - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I’m a Yankee fan who will side Red Sox fans on this one. And now I feel dirty. Thanks Luke Scott, you douche.

6. djdvd - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I have to agree Luke. I enjoy average players running their mouth for no reason much more.

Most of those “sox” fans are Florida bandwagon fans that shouldn’t be lumped in with the rest.

• hasbeen5 - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:02 PM

He’s obviously answering a question. Had he not answered, he would’ve caught grief for not answering.

• SmackSaw - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:12 PM

You’re supposed to sit on your ass and nod at stupid things
        Man, that’s hard to do
        And if you don’t, they’ll screw you
        And if you do, they’ll screw you, too

• randomdigits - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I don’t think FL bandwagon fans were driving up to OPACY. Boston fans will indeed come down in droves for games in Baltimore.

• 18thstreet - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:28 PM

We also drive up from DC and its suburbs. That’s what I do.

• 18thstreet - Mar 1, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Why did I get three thumbs down? Because I should take the MARC instead? Okay, fine: driving is wasteful. But parking only costs $8 and if I’m bringing my kids, it’s a no-brainer.

7. gendisarray - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:00 PM

His delivery here may not be the best… but it’s also the most perceptive thing Luke Scott has said in a loooong while.

8. baseballisboring - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I’m a Red Sox fan, and while he probably overstates his case, I don’t even disagree with him that much. Doesn’t mean he’s not a doucher, though.

• baseballisboring - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:42 PM

To clarify a little bit, some Red Sox fans (and not JUST Red Sox fans, mind you) have been known to be shit talkers. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that…there’s lines you shouldn’t cross, family being one of them, but heckling an opposing team’s players isn’t morally wrong to me. Red Sox fans when they’re in that kind of mood are probably pretty ruthless and vulgar.

On the other hand, he clearly just sounds butt-hurt over a few choice things that have been said to him over the years. We know St Louis fans have the reputation of being classy, but c’mon, they’re not ALL classy, and not all, or even the majority of Red Sox fans are ruthless, vulgar chowdah-heads. I can see where he’s coming from, but he’s A) exaggerating and B) singling out Red Sox fans unfairly.

9. yankeesgameday - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Quit giving the dumb asses of the world an outlet. Stop covering Luke Scott.

• baseballisboring - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Heh…not gonna disagree with you there. But it’s hard to blame people for covering him. All you have to do to write an entertaining article is ask Luke Scott a question where a strong opinion might get him in trouble, and boom. You know he has one, you know it’s probably stupid, and you know he’s not afraid to share it.

10. 1zzo - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:10 PM

The statement probably didn’t come out of nowhere either. This seems like a response to a questions like, “Why was it such a big deal for the Orioles to beat Boston at the end of last season, eliminating them from playoff contention?”

11. bobdira - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Water is wet. Sky is blue. Heat is hot. Ice is cold. Red Sox Fans are obnoxious.

This Scottism is not noteworthy at all.

12. frankvzappa - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Ruthless AND vulgar? Aw, shucks, Luke. Thanks. I mean, I didn’t know you cared. That really means a lot to us.

13. 18thstreet - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Luke Scott hasn’t played a game in St. Louis since 2007, roughly the time that President Obama was forging his Indonesian birth certificate to look like it came from Kenya.

• Ari Collins - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Don’t forget how his parents placed a birth announcement in the Honolulu paper, knowing that he’d need that when he ran for president!

14. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Luke Scott on intelligence: “No thanks, I’ll be an ignorant douche instead.”

15. shanabartels - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I never thought I would agree with Luke Scott about anything. This terrifies me.

• bigharold - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I’m with you. I’m expecting pigs to fly any minute now.

• badmamainphilliesjamas - Feb 29, 2012 at 7:01 PM

…and when they do, Luke can spear them!

16. cur68 - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:49 PM

My HBT girlfriend is a Sox Superfan. Luke Scott has insulted her. He must suffer. When next we meet, I shall demand satisfaction: Pig spears at 20 paces.

17. randygnyc - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I love this guy. He hasn’t been wrong yet.

• stex52 - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:57 PM

No, he’d have to rise a couple of levels just to be “wrong.”

18. tropboi11 - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM

More cow bell please

19. aruthlessvulgarobnoxiousbostonfan - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I registers for an account just to say one thing: we are arrogant, we are obnoxious, we are ruthless, and we are vulgar.

Do something about it.

And for you rays and Yankees, as far as I’m concerned your playing for second place this year.

• bigharold - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:14 PM

“Do something about it.”

They did last season. Remember 3rd place?

• Ari Collins - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Speak for yourself, man. Most of us are civil here.

And can spell.

• Ari Collins - Feb 29, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Thought I responded to this. Prolly it’ll annoyingly show up later. What I said was, basically:

Speak for yourself. Most Sox fans and general posters here are civil. And know how to spell.

• damnyankee13 - Feb 29, 2012 at 7:51 PM

We will. That wannabe Yankee team in Boston will end up in last place where they belong. They wont win until they get rid of John Henry, who is an honest guy, and brings in Robert Kraft who buys officials and dont care if his coach chests[was it encouraged?]

• yankeesgameday - Feb 29, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I feel properly put in my place now. Let me curl up in a ball in the tub with the shower water running on my head.

This guy is probably thinking bobby v was a good hire. Feel free to delete your account on the way out, we like smart baseball comments around here, not someone baiting over the internet.

• crashdog - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Come on…the Jays aren’t good enough to win the division yet…..

20. calichowd - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Sure hope dude can swing those pig sticks better than a bat. If not, some pig is gonna eat his acorns.

21. jason9696 - Feb 29, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Who is Luke Scott?

22. bobwsc - Feb 29, 2012 at 7:34 PM

just needs the blade fingernails and the Wolverine getup is complete.

23. daisycutter1 - Feb 29, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I want to hear more from Luke Scott.

24. JBerardi - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:16 PM

“They’re ruthless. They’re vulgar. They cause trouble. They talk about your family. Swear at you.

God I love Boston.

25. hushbrother - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Most especially Scott does not like Red Sox fans from the People’s Republic of Cambridge.

• JBerardi - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Nah… Cambridge is full of white people.

• 18thstreet - Mar 1, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Get a clue.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3310)