Miguel Tejada would like a job with the Athletics, please

Feb 29, 2012, 9:44 AM EDT

Miguel Tejada

With the Giants last year, Miguel Tejada  hit .239/.270/.326 in 343 plate appearances and played defense that experts in the field formally classify as “butt.”  That said, he’d still like a job.  With the A’s.  From Susan Slusser’s interview with Miggy, who said that, sure, he’d listen if Billy Beane were to call:

“I would love it. I have always loved the A’s. That’s the organization that gave me a chance when I was a little kid in the Dominican. They opened all the doors for me. …. That’s my family … Tell Billy to give me a call. I don’t want big money. I just want to play.”

The thing that stuck out the most to me, however, is Tejada telling Slusser that the reason he played so poorly last season was that he “wasn’t happy” being on the Giants.

If that’s the key to his productivity as a player, I feel really bad for Tejada. Because it means he hasn’t been happy in years.

1. rooney24 - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Like Tejada, I no longer possess the skills to be an impactful major league player. Okay, in my case, I never had them. But, neither of us has them any longer. Can Billy give me a call? I don’t want “big money” either. Oh wait, to 99% of people the league minimum of $480,000 IS big money. Of course, he wants a job. Who wouldn’t want a job for that much money, even if you don’t deserve it? Players really lose sight of reality when it comes to money.

2. phukyouk - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I thought that we agreed the other day that “miggy” belong to Cabrera?

• scatterbrian - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:18 PM

The A’s had “Miggy Magic” first.

3. Detroit Michael - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM

If he’s not clearly better than Adam Rosales, why sign him?

4. royhobbs39 - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:22 AM

The “please” part of that headline comes from the other members of the AL West.

5. Gamera the Brave - Mar 1, 2012 at 12:05 AM

If he can’t be “happy” on the Giants, he really can’t get along anywhere…

6. Gamera the Brave - Mar 1, 2012 at 12:06 AM

The Giants are totally, like, hella-chill…

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3225)