Mike Scioscia is in The Best Shape Of His (Managing) Life

Feb 29, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT

Mike Scioscia, Albert Pujols AP

Mike Scioscia was in perfectly good shape during his 13-year career as the Dodgers’ catcher, so adding him to the ever-growing “Best Shape Of His Life” list wouldn’t really be accurate.

But after packing on quite a bit of weight during his 12-year managing career Scioscia dropped nearly 40 pounds this winter and told Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times that he plans to lose another 20 pounds:

Last season, it just got away from me. I realized I was getting too heavy, and I’ve got to get it down, so that’s what I’m doing. There’s a difference between putting on a little weight and getting unhealthy. I was starting to get unhealthy.

Plaschke tells the story of how Scioscia met his wife 30 years ago when she brought him a plate of cookies at Dodger Stadium. Now that same wife “kind of nudged” the 53-year-old manager to get in better shape. His father suffered a stroke at 60 and died at 71, and Scioscia explained “that’s always been in the back of my mind.”

At this point the “Best Shape Of His Life” roster has so many players that they could probably start a second and maybe even a third team, but every team needs a manager.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Now it’s only half a plate of cookies for Mike.

• foreverchipper10 - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Can he still eat them with the voracity of a viking?

2. aceshigh11 - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Good for him…Scioscia’s a cool guy.

3. dallasstars9 - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Best Manager in baseball, who now has the best team (on paper) in baseball – Go Halos!

• pisano - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I wouldn’t make book on the Angels even winning their division, there’s a team southeast of them that will have to be dealt with.The Rangers are the real deal, with hitting, pitching, and relief pitching all lined up, I would be leery of the Rangers.

Three legends off to Cooperstown