Feb 29, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Mike Scioscia was in perfectly good shape during his 13-year career as the Dodgers’ catcher, so adding him to the ever-growing “Best Shape Of His Life” list wouldn’t really be accurate.
But after packing on quite a bit of weight during his 12-year managing career Scioscia dropped nearly 40 pounds this winter and told Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times that he plans to lose another 20 pounds:
Last season, it just got away from me. I realized I was getting too heavy, and I’ve got to get it down, so that’s what I’m doing. There’s a difference between putting on a little weight and getting unhealthy. I was starting to get unhealthy.
Plaschke tells the story of how Scioscia met his wife 30 years ago when she brought him a plate of cookies at Dodger Stadium. Now that same wife “kind of nudged” the 53-year-old manager to get in better shape. His father suffered a stroke at 60 and died at 71, and Scioscia explained “that’s always been in the back of my mind.”
At this point the “Best Shape Of His Life” roster has so many players that they could probably start a second and maybe even a third team, but every team needs a manager.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)