Feb 29, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Mike Scioscia was in perfectly good shape during his 13-year career as the Dodgers’ catcher, so adding him to the ever-growing “Best Shape Of His Life” list wouldn’t really be accurate.
But after packing on quite a bit of weight during his 12-year managing career Scioscia dropped nearly 40 pounds this winter and told Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times that he plans to lose another 20 pounds:
Last season, it just got away from me. I realized I was getting too heavy, and I’ve got to get it down, so that’s what I’m doing. There’s a difference between putting on a little weight and getting unhealthy. I was starting to get unhealthy.
Plaschke tells the story of how Scioscia met his wife 30 years ago when she brought him a plate of cookies at Dodger Stadium. Now that same wife “kind of nudged” the 53-year-old manager to get in better shape. His father suffered a stroke at 60 and died at 71, and Scioscia explained “that’s always been in the back of my mind.”
At this point the “Best Shape Of His Life” roster has so many players that they could probably start a second and maybe even a third team, but every team needs a manager.
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 73
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)