Minor league free agent Justin Dowdy suspended for refusing a drug test

Feb 29, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT

syringe

Here’s one way to avoid there being and errors or irregularities in the testing procedures:

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that free agent Minor League left-handed pitcher Justin Dowdy has received a 50-game suspension after refusing to take a drug test, a violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

The suspension of Dowdy is effective immediately upon his signing with a Major League organization.

Personally, I blame Ryan Braun.  Everyone said he and his lawyers have ruined testing. Well, here’s your proof!

OK, maybe not.

Anyway, Dowdy, originally drafted by the White Sox, was last seen in the Giants organization. He’s actually spent more time in independent leagues than he has in affiliated baseball.  And I’m guessing this is the last we hear of him.

1. saints97 - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I hear they stored the drug test order in some incompetent Cubs’ fans house for almost two full days. If I were him, I’d appeal.

• mrfloydpink - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:54 PM

That sound you hear? Dead horse being beaten.

2. sdelmonte - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I don’t suppose he refused the test because he considers it a violation of his rights?

3. paperlions - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:05 PM

If he refused to take a test because he is currently not under contract, I don’t blame him…..why should you have to subject yourself to tests by someone you don’t work for?

• racksie - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Now that is an interesting point. Craig, I’m guessing you have quicker access to the rules than I do. Can you clarify?

• bravojawja - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM

What’s the context of his refusal? If some guy from MiLB showed up at his door and demanded that he pee in a cup, then yeah, I wouldn’t blame him, either. But if a ballclub showed up and said we’ll sign you to a contract only if you take a drug test, then he’s SOL. Plenty of employers require drug tests before hiring.

Too bad there’s no union for him to turn to.

• djpostl - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Don’t believe it works that way. To even be eligible to be signed by teams Free Agents have to register with the league, file requisite paper work etc..Most likely being subject to their drug testing is part of the equation, especially if he was on a minor league invite to spring training etc…

Definitely curious to see more of the particulars in his case though.

4. imaduffer - Feb 29, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Maybe he needed a larger cup to pee in.

5. bosox619 - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I know Justin personally. After speaking with him, he refused a drug test with the MiLB because he is under contract with an Independent Baseball Club not affiliated with any MLB Organization. He is not required to test for the MiLB under these circumstances. Unless he accepts an offer with a MLB Organization or affiliate.

• djpostl - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Just curious, was he invited to spring training by a team, listed on their rolls as a pending Free Agent or involved in any way with a minor league club or is this a case where MLB just kind of dialed him up as “your turn to pee in a cup buddy” and he subsequently refused?

• bosox619 - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Not sure on that. He told me he signed with an independent ball club a week or so ago. And yesterday the rep from the mlb showed up at his door asking him to test. He said no cause he isn’t under contract with any MLB organization.

6. losangelasbasketball - Mar 1, 2012 at 12:09 AM

How does a minor leaguer afford hgh on that salary… I dont know much, but that stuff doesnt come cheap….

7. bosox619 - Mar 1, 2012 at 1:02 AM

He does not use steriods, hgh or any performance ENHANCING drugs. He’s 6’1 and maybe 190 sop n wet. And throws about 91-93 heat.

8. madhatternalice - Mar 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Has this story been updated? Dowdy reached out to Deadspin to explain:

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3475)