Feb 29, 2012, 3:00 PM EST
Earlier today it was reported that the Rangers had signed Dominican outfielder Jairo Beras for $4.5 million. But, there could be a problem: As Jeff Passan reports, Major League Baseball was of the impression that Beras was 16 years-old and thus not eligible to be signed at this time and at that price. It’s being reported, however, that Beras is actually 17.
The confusion suggests that this is the first case of a Dominican prospect actually benefiting by being older than believed, because it’s thought that if everyone knew he was 17, there would have been more action on him.
Anyway, Passan says that Major League Baseball is going to investigate this. Good luck. And make sure you follow all of the proper procedures lest your results be thrown out on a technicality.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)