Feb 29, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal tweets:
Sources: Additional wild cards a “go” for this season. Playoffs to expand from eight to 10 teams. Announcement tomorrow. #MLB
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) February 29, 2012
The decision is not terribly surprising. While this year’s schedule is already set, thus making it difficult to build in room for the expanded playoffs, Major League Baseball and its television partners clearly wanted to get this in place as soon as possible. Those one-game wild card playoffs are going to be hyped to the max and, given how everyone likes elimination games, will likely get good ratings.
Of course, as it already is, the seventh game of the World Series, if necessary, would be played on November 1. I would assume that this will bump it a couple of days. As such, watch for MLB to put the fix in, making it impossible for the northern-dwelling Twins to make the postseason.
Wait, what? Oh, in that case everything is cool.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)