Feb 29, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal tweets:
Sources: Additional wild cards a “go” for this season. Playoffs to expand from eight to 10 teams. Announcement tomorrow. #MLB
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) February 29, 2012
The decision is not terribly surprising. While this year’s schedule is already set, thus making it difficult to build in room for the expanded playoffs, Major League Baseball and its television partners clearly wanted to get this in place as soon as possible. Those one-game wild card playoffs are going to be hyped to the max and, given how everyone likes elimination games, will likely get good ratings.
Of course, as it already is, the seventh game of the World Series, if necessary, would be played on November 1. I would assume that this will bump it a couple of days. As such, watch for MLB to put the fix in, making it impossible for the northern-dwelling Twins to make the postseason.
Wait, what? Oh, in that case everything is cool.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)