Feb 29, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal tweets:
Sources: Additional wild cards a “go” for this season. Playoffs to expand from eight to 10 teams. Announcement tomorrow. #MLB
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) February 29, 2012
The decision is not terribly surprising. While this year’s schedule is already set, thus making it difficult to build in room for the expanded playoffs, Major League Baseball and its television partners clearly wanted to get this in place as soon as possible. Those one-game wild card playoffs are going to be hyped to the max and, given how everyone likes elimination games, will likely get good ratings.
Of course, as it already is, the seventh game of the World Series, if necessary, would be played on November 1. I would assume that this will bump it a couple of days. As such, watch for MLB to put the fix in, making it impossible for the northern-dwelling Twins to make the postseason.
Wait, what? Oh, in that case everything is cool.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)