Feb 29, 2012, 12:04 PM EST
Matt Gelb of Philly.com reports that Ryan Howard has suffered a setback. Specifically, on Monday he underwent a procedure to clean an infection from his original wound, and the healing from that procedure will sideline him from action indefinitely.
We first caught wind of this last week when Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reported that Howard had “a little setback.” At the time, Ruben Amaro said his visit to the doctor on Monday was routine. Not so routine after all, it seems.
The most distressing thing about all of this is how the story even got out. I’m led to understand that Amaro has mastered the Jedi mind trick. When he said “it is but a routine procedure … move along,” why did anyone keep digging? Why did they not, due to Amaro’s irresistible persuasion, go on to something else? I can only assume that Matt Gelb is a Jedi himself and such sorcery does not work on him. We must be wary in Master Gelb’s presence.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 17
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 91
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)