Feb 29, 2012, 12:04 PM EDT
Matt Gelb of Philly.com reports that Ryan Howard has suffered a setback. Specifically, on Monday he underwent a procedure to clean an infection from his original wound, and the healing from that procedure will sideline him from action indefinitely.
We first caught wind of this last week when Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reported that Howard had “a little setback.” At the time, Ruben Amaro said his visit to the doctor on Monday was routine. Not so routine after all, it seems.
The most distressing thing about all of this is how the story even got out. I’m led to understand that Amaro has mastered the Jedi mind trick. When he said “it is but a routine procedure … move along,” why did anyone keep digging? Why did they not, due to Amaro’s irresistible persuasion, go on to something else? I can only assume that Matt Gelb is a Jedi himself and such sorcery does not work on him. We must be wary in Master Gelb’s presence.
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 65
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15