Ryan Howard sidelined indefinitely after developing an infection

Feb 29, 2012, 12:04 PM EDT

Ryan Howard rehabbing Reuters

Matt Gelb of Philly.com reports that Ryan Howard has suffered a setback.  Specifically, on Monday he underwent a procedure to clean an infection from his original wound, and the healing from that procedure will sideline him from action indefinitely.

We first caught wind of this last week when Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reported that Howard had “a little setback.”  At the time, Ruben Amaro said his visit to the doctor on Monday was routine.  Not so routine after all, it seems.

The most distressing thing about all of this is how the story even got out.  I’m led to understand that Amaro has mastered the Jedi mind trick.  When he said “it is but a routine procedure … move along,” why did anyone keep digging? Why did they not, due to Amaro’s irresistible persuasion, go on to something else?  I can only assume that Matt Gelb is a Jedi himself and such sorcery does not work on him.  We must be wary in Master Gelb’s presence.

Anyway, more Ty Wigginton and Jim Thome for us.  So we’re all lucky.

1. humanexcrement - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Ryan Howard seems like a pretty cool guy to me. That said, I get a very strong feeling he’s already in the decline phase of his career. Big time.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Seems like he’s been declining for a few years now. Due in part to this injury he could be beginning the “falling off a cliff” phase of his career this season.

• dondada10 - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Well, at least he’s not signed for a bunch of more years and an unnecessary sum of money.

• Ari Collins - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:56 PM

He won’t hit those numbers this year, and barely hit them the previous two years, but I’m sure he’ll get right back to 30/115 in 2013 at the age of 33!

• ame123 - Mar 1, 2012 at 11:29 AM

33 is not old.

2. ame123 - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM

If by indefinitely you mean as few as a couple days, yeah I guess its ‘indefinite’.

• greymares - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:34 PM

absolutely correct the Dr. was on the radio this morning and said it was caused by a disposable stitch that didn’t completely dissolve he will take an antibiodic and continue his rehab, NO-SET BACK.

3. illbringdabeers - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I just hope he takes his time to recover. The Phillies will definitely miss him but I’d rather have him come back after the All-Star Game at 100% then have him be rushed back early.

4. cup0pizza - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I guess the Yankees of the n.l. (minus the serious hardware) can always resort to buying some replacement.

5. El Bravo - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Correction: Matt Gelb is a sith lord.

6. ame123 - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Also most likely than not, it will be Mayberry at first base with Dom Brown in left field.

7. Jonny 5 - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM

“The most distressing thing about all of this is how the story even got out. I’m led to understand that Amaro has mastered the Jedi mind trick. When he said “it is but a routine procedure … move along,” why did anyone keep digging? Why did they not, due to Amaro’s irresistible persuasion, go on to something else? I can only assume that Matt Gelb is a Jedi himself and such sorcery does not work on him. We must be wary in Master Gelb’s presence.”

That’s easy… Amaro just felt a “disturbance in the foot” and thought Howard was stressing it too much. So he just made everyone think there’s an infection so the big guy takes it easy. At least that’s what master Yogi told me.

8. phillyphreak - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Meh. I’m sure that this stuff probably happens more than we hear about.

9. sportsdrenched.com - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:51 PM

The most distressing thing about all of this is how the story even got out.

Craig Calcaterra, HIPPA Advocate

10. APBA Guy - Feb 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I’d like to hear Cur’s thoughts on the actual medical possibilities. These days, when I hear post-op infection, I immediately leap to staph infection, of the sort that took Tom Brady nearly a year to recover from. Hopefully this is nothing as serious as that, but the descriptions f the infection I’ve read so far have been vague.

• cur68 - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:27 PM

APBA: Someone above commented that Howard an undissolved stitch. That’s probably it.

If all he had was pain, no fever, no accelerated heart, no redness, no pus, no bleeding etc, then it could be just residual surgery effect or a small amount of re-injury.

The trouble as always is that lay people are reporting and not giving the information anyone needs to be able to tell anything. I haven’t a shred of data on what the surgical site even looks like. I’d like to know if the surgical site has any redness, swelling, pus, weeping of any sort, red streaks, or gaping. Those are problems. If you smell rot (some claim the strong smell of almonds) and if the wound crackles to the touch, then you have real big problems. If any of that gets reported, then maybe we can tentatively say something. Til then, your guess is as good as mine, providing we all agree its just random noise making.

• APBA Guy - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Thanks! I appreciate the comprehensive response. Glad I wasn’t just imagining the lack of meaningful detail in the reporting.

11. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:10 PM

These infections are no big deal – signed Martin Prado

#lost2011

12. fuggles7 - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I think it must be that Matt Gelb is actually Matt the Hut. Everyone knows that Huts are not affected by Jedi mind tricks!

13. pkswally024 - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:20 PM

You have multi million dollar ball player who can’t take care of a wound… Wonderful.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Because the patient is supposed to take responsibility for the integrity of their stitches?

• cur68 - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Because he was drafted 1st over all in wound care? I thought he played baseball and the team had people that looked after stuff like surgery and complications and the like? I must have missed something. Was he wading around in a swamp catfish hunting or something?

14. bdawk20 - Feb 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I love the Phillies and their leadership team. However, they are the WORST (or best) when it comes to playing off injuries nonchalantly (For example, Chase Utley’s chronic knee problems).

I don’t know what Craig is digging at here, but Amaro is a master persuader in terms of trading/signing personnel, but the fans and local media always see through him because we are used to it.

• bleedgreen - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Not only Utley, but Jimmy Rollins the past few years ‘oh its just a mild strain’ … 6 weeks later. Or Roy Oswalt’s ‘back tweak’, or Polanco’s ‘mild injury’. Who knows who knew what when, but Roy and Polly tried to play through and played terrible until they made it worse and missed more time.

15. andyreidisfat - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Umm yeah because it takes so long to do real research, the doctor who did the cleaning said on local radio it was nothing more than a surgical staple that didn’t dissolve. He also said that the no damage was done and all muscles and tendons look great.

Howard will still miss the first month or so. But with a healthy utley and pence and a very happy to be here thome I think the phillies will be just fine. Especially considering 1-6 the phillies pitching is better than anyone with the giants the only team close.

Oh and for all those who call the phills the nl Yankees, stop. See our team can spend money because we sell out every game and we are a top 4 merch team every year. It’s not cuz the owner owns a tv network, though the phills should be lookin at a deal similar to the angles deal next year for tv. So don’t expect the phills to drop off anytime soon

16. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Steroids suppress the immune system making infections more likely, longer lasting, and deadlier.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 1, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Nice—spewing idiotic, uncalled for and unsubstantiated crap like that. Very nice, putz.

• PanchoHerreraFanClub - Mar 4, 2012 at 11:57 PM

No, not a spew, just a simple fact. Uncalled for? How so? Unsubstantiated? It is a simple fact about steroids. Please quote your source that steroids don’t affect the immune system. It wasn’t even a cheap shot at Howard as I did not say he used steroids.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto