Feb 29, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
Don Mattingly was asked about the Angels and all of their high-profile signings. And how, in light of the Dodgers’ recent doldrums, the Angels may be the number one show on grass in Los Angels now.
In his response, Mattingly was either zen or tautologous, depending on your point of view:
“At the end of the day, the Dodgers are the Dodgers … The Yankees are the team, no matter what the Mets do. They’re going to have their years that they play well, but the Yankees are the team.”
Matt Kemp joined in on this too, saying “Definitely, there’s only one Los Angeles team and that’s the L.A. Dodgers.” He’s right! On a technicality, anyway, as Anaheim is a different city.
I dunno. I get what they’re saying. But taking this a tad more seriously, it’s worth noting that people used to say things like “[proper noun] is the Cadillac of [category in which noun is a part of],” as if there was no question about what the gold standard is. Time changes that kind of thing.
The Los Angeles Dodgers are the Los Angeles Dodgers because of a tradition of winning, a tradition of their large, loyal following and a tradition of standard-setting excellence in management, organization and perceived class. All of those things are either gone or are at risk thanks to the McCourt era. Inertia and history won’t keep them on top forever.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 162
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (162)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)