Feb 29, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
Don Mattingly was asked about the Angels and all of their high-profile signings. And how, in light of the Dodgers’ recent doldrums, the Angels may be the number one show on grass in Los Angels now.
In his response, Mattingly was either zen or tautologous, depending on your point of view:
“At the end of the day, the Dodgers are the Dodgers … The Yankees are the team, no matter what the Mets do. They’re going to have their years that they play well, but the Yankees are the team.”
Matt Kemp joined in on this too, saying “Definitely, there’s only one Los Angeles team and that’s the L.A. Dodgers.” He’s right! On a technicality, anyway, as Anaheim is a different city.
I dunno. I get what they’re saying. But taking this a tad more seriously, it’s worth noting that people used to say things like “[proper noun] is the Cadillac of [category in which noun is a part of],” as if there was no question about what the gold standard is. Time changes that kind of thing.
The Los Angeles Dodgers are the Los Angeles Dodgers because of a tradition of winning, a tradition of their large, loyal following and a tradition of standard-setting excellence in management, organization and perceived class. All of those things are either gone or are at risk thanks to the McCourt era. Inertia and history won’t keep them on top forever.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)