Feb 29, 2012, 8:46 AM EDT
They’ve been working on it for a while, but Heyman reports that they’re done working: the Cardinals and Yadier Molina have reached an agreement on a five year, $75 million contract extension. Rosenthal first had the outline of the deal on Monday.
It’s the second biggest deal ever for a catcher behind Joe Mauer‘s. With Albert Pujols out the door, the Cardinals had no choice but to lock up Molina. And given how hard it is to find even a good catcher, a great a defensive catcher and well above-average offensive catcher like Molina was going to cash in huge if he hit the market.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (95)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)