Feb 29, 2012, 8:46 AM EST
They’ve been working on it for a while, but Heyman reports that they’re done working: the Cardinals and Yadier Molina have reached an agreement on a five year, $75 million contract extension. Rosenthal first had the outline of the deal on Monday.
It’s the second biggest deal ever for a catcher behind Joe Mauer‘s. With Albert Pujols out the door, the Cardinals had no choice but to lock up Molina. And given how hard it is to find even a good catcher, a great a defensive catcher and well above-average offensive catcher like Molina was going to cash in huge if he hit the market.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)