The Yankees aren’t feeding the trolls

Feb 29, 2012, 2:08 PM EDT

Boston Red Sox manager Valentine watches pitchers work out at the Red Sox new Major League Baseball spring training facility in Fort Myers

As D.J. noted last night, yesterday Bobby Valentine tried to troll the Yankees, talking smack about the famous flip play from the 2001 ALDS and about the famous Jason Varitek-A-Rod fight.

Today the Yankees were asked about it.  And they weren’t gonna get down on Bobby V’s level.  Here’s Jeter:

“… who cares? I mean, why are we talking about this, really?” Jeter said. “He must be bored over there, huh? I don’t understand.”

And here’s A-Rod:

“I’m not going to win many battles here when it comes to words, especially against Bobby,” Rodriguez said. “But I will tell you this: I’ve got my new press secretary that should be landing in the next couple days – Reggie Jackson – so I’ll let him handle that.”

That’s the way to defuse these little petty controversies.  Just bore them to death.

And really: you’d think Valentine would want to set out to write his own chapter in the Yankees-Red Sox thing rather than try to rehash the old ones.

1. Stacey - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I think A Rod’s comment is hilarious and not boring at all.

• aleskel - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:43 PM

agreed – that’s a good line

2. phukyouk - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:14 PM

“The Yankees aren’t feeding the trolls”

were they out of fried chicken?
    (yea i said it, sue me! )

3. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:15 PM

So the Yanks are smarter than Bobby V. Big surprise, even bigger deal.

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Shut up, Bobby. It appears you’ve been gone long enough to think these comments will help anything.

5. bigharold - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:31 PM

With regard to Bobby’s remarks Jeter was quoted;

“What do you want me to say? I mean, really. What am I supposed to say?”

The answer is simple, .. nothing. Because Jeter is obviously aware that there is no percentage with arguing with an idiot. They just drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

• bigharold - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Or, .. it’s like never wrestle with a pig, .. you both get dirty but the pig likes it.

• uyf1950 - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:02 PM

bigharold – your comment is PERFECT.

6. bigharold - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Or, .. it’s like never argue with an idiot, … bystanders might not be able to tell the difference.

7. bigharold - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Or, .. well you get he idea…

8. mrmarkls - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:45 PM

BV has always been a ninny.

He was a fool with the Rangers and Mets as a Manager and he will be a jerk in Boston. This should surprise no one.

He will however do a good job as a manager before he does something to embarass the Sox and he gets told to take his act on the road…

Why he would take on Jeter is beyond comprehension…

“I already knew Jeter was a great player, he could have skipped this series and I would have still believed he was a great player”
    Bobby Valentine, after the Mets 2000 Series loss to the Yankees. Jeter was the Series MVP.

9. cur68 - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:45 PM

This is why I miss Big George. He’d have spied this up way better than ARod or Jeter.

• bigharold - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:02 PM

GMS III in his prime responding to Fake Stash Valentine, .. man that might very well have been a verbal war worth watching.

• cur68 - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Your comment about wrestling pigs really plays now.

10. gatorprof - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:53 PM

It is a shame that Boston replaced a classy guy like Tito with a jacka$$ like Bobby V. Please wake me up he becomes a good manager.

• spindervish - Mar 1, 2012 at 2:24 PM

This.

11. neelyisgod - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Bobby V thinks he is something special, been out of the MLB for years and it’s no wonder why. He will do nothing to help the Sox saga. Would be surprised if he made it till August.

12. homelanddefense - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Im sick of him already and he hasnt lost a game for them yet (red sox fan)

• spindervish - Mar 1, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Also this.

Christ this guy is insufferable. It’s gonna be a long year.

13. deathmonkey41 - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Why isn’t Valentine just talking about all those MLB postseason victories in his career?

14. surefooted1 - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Jeter should have laughed and said,”lol, did I every tell you about that series we played against them in 2000.”

• bigharold - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:52 PM

“… did I every tell you about that series we played against them in 2000.”

Adding, … ” you know, .. the one where I won the WS MVP, .. hit a game opening HR, .. hitting .409 overall and threw Temo out at the plate.” Your Remember that one, .. right?”

• bigharold - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:53 PM

How bout a great decanter of STFU Bobby?

15. andrew2260 - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Hey Bobby, you must have drinking beer with Beckett and Lester. Do me a favor and shut up until you win something. Nobody listened to you BS on ESPN. So, why start now.

16. Tick - Mar 1, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Valentine needs to get as much attention as he can right now since he’ll be back in an annoucer’s chair next season.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate