Wanna buy Babe Ruth’s 1920 jersey?

Feb 29, 2012, 3:31 PM EDT

Ruth Called Shot Baseball

Some people are saying that it’s the most valuable piece of memorabilia ever:

The 92-year-old professional-grade wool flannel jersey has enough soiling, stains and fabric repairs to establish that its owner tumbled after fly balls and slid into second base. More often he trotted around the bases in his signature choppy steps.

The Y in the words “NEW YORK” is embroidered on the double-thick button placket, proof to experts that the road jersey was made circa 1920. Stitched next to the Spalding manufacturer’s label on the collar are these letters in faded pink script: Ruth G.H.

The “choppy steps” thing aside — we all realize that his gait looked choppy because of the speed of the film, right? And that he ran like any other big dude runs? — this is really cool.  And it’s up for bids. Experts say the price will exceed the $2.8 million paid for a mint Honus Wagner card, which is the current record holder.

Frankly, I’m shocked some second rate card company hasn’t chopped it up and inserted it into deluxe packs yet.

1. jason1214 - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:41 PM

No kidding, game used memorabilia card inserts are the lamest thing to happen to baseball cards

• maco88 - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Good comment. But memorabilia cards are inherently bad, especially this day in age when players wear a dozen different jerseys a season and use a couple dozen bats or more during a season. The issue I have is taking a piece of rare sports history where there are not many items from so long ago, like a Ruth jersey, or like Ruth’s bat a few years ago and chopping it up into hundreds or thousands of pieces to put onto a card and into card packs so people will chase them and buy more packs so the card company makes more money. It completely disregards the value of the item to sport and to society as part of our country’s history. These items are priceless and companies like Topps (the Ruth bat) have destroyed these items forever.

2. bearsstillsuck - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I wonder what his hair would of went for.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I wonder what his hair would have gone for. (English is really hard.)

• jimbo1949 - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:46 PM

One of my pet peeves, of/have. Let it go bro, most of them haven’t a clue and don’t give a damn,

3. nategearhart - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:53 PM

This goes beyond memorabilia, that is some straight up historically significant shit. Just about any history/art museum in the world could put this on display. I’d buy it if I had the cash.

4. mercyflush - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Is this jersey the one with the bbq sauce all over it??

• mercyflush - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:59 PM

or was that strawberries

• bleedgreen - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:32 PM

No, Strawberry’s had coke all over it.

• mercyflush - Mar 1, 2012 at 9:32 AM

well played sir.

(FWIW, the strawberries was a reference to a Seinfeld episode)

5. Walk - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Well done bleedgreen, bit of double entendre there made me chuckle. I regret i have but one thumbs up to give for my reply.

• foreverchipper10 - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:14 PM

My thoughts exactly. Gets my vote for internet win of the day.

6. mel47 - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Craig,
    I know this is off subject, but I have to say it somewhere:
    I read all kinds of sports columns that invite comments, from the NY Times & Boston Globe to Yahoo to MLB.com, and it is my unscientific but heartfelt conclusion that the funniest, cleverest readers post here on HardballTalk. I don’t know exactly how you guys do it, but thanks.

• foreverchipper10 - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:15 PM

You like us! You really like us! *sobs and bows*

7. stercuilus65 - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Does it still have Costanza’s mustard stains?

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win