Mar 1, 2012, 12:19 PM EST
A.J. Burnett may want to skip bunting practice for a while.
Yesterday the Pirates’ newest pitcher fouled a ball off his face while trying to lay a bunt down and the team just announced that he’s been diagnosed with an orbital fracture around his right eye.
Burnett, who immediately left Pirates camp and traveled to Pittsburgh to be examined by doctors, is scheduled for surgery tomorrow. There’s no word yet on how much time he’s expected to miss.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)