Mar 1, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
A.J. Burnett may want to skip bunting practice for a while.
Yesterday the Pirates’ newest pitcher fouled a ball off his face while trying to lay a bunt down and the team just announced that he’s been diagnosed with an orbital fracture around his right eye.
Burnett, who immediately left Pirates camp and traveled to Pittsburgh to be examined by doctors, is scheduled for surgery tomorrow. There’s no word yet on how much time he’s expected to miss.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)