Mar 1, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
A.J. Burnett may want to skip bunting practice for a while.
Yesterday the Pirates’ newest pitcher fouled a ball off his face while trying to lay a bunt down and the team just announced that he’s been diagnosed with an orbital fracture around his right eye.
Burnett, who immediately left Pirates camp and traveled to Pittsburgh to be examined by doctors, is scheduled for surgery tomorrow. There’s no word yet on how much time he’s expected to miss.
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 0
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)