Mar 1, 2012, 3:21 PM EDT
Evan Longoria gave the Rays a scare this morning. Or, more accurately, Matt Bush gave them the scare by plunking Longoria in the hand with a fastball.
Longoria immediately left the game and later went for X-rays, but they came back negative and he’s been diagnosed with a bruised hand. He’s officially listed as day-to-day.
“We will see how it feels tomorrow,” Longoria told Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune. “At this point, we just need to get the swelling out of there.”
Sending Longoria to the disabled list with a major hand injury is just about the last thing Bush needed at this point in his saga of a career, but the former No. 1 overall pick shortstop-turned-pitcher can breathe easier now and focus on possibly cracking the Rays’ bullpen as a middle reliever.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (80)