Mar 1, 2012, 3:21 PM EST
Evan Longoria gave the Rays a scare this morning. Or, more accurately, Matt Bush gave them the scare by plunking Longoria in the hand with a fastball.
Longoria immediately left the game and later went for X-rays, but they came back negative and he’s been diagnosed with a bruised hand. He’s officially listed as day-to-day.
“We will see how it feels tomorrow,” Longoria told Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune. “At this point, we just need to get the swelling out of there.”
Sending Longoria to the disabled list with a major hand injury is just about the last thing Bush needed at this point in his saga of a career, but the former No. 1 overall pick shortstop-turned-pitcher can breathe easier now and focus on possibly cracking the Rays’ bullpen as a middle reliever.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)