Mar 1, 2012, 4:08 PM EDT
Sizemore, who was already expected to miss Opening Day because of a back injury suffered three weeks ago, underwent micro discectomy surgery on his lower back and now will miss at least 8-12 weeks.
Given his lengthy injury history it’s tough to imagine Sizemore making a speedy recovery and returning 12 weeks from today would mean early June. Not exactly what the Indians had in mind when they declined his $8 million option and then re-signed Sizemore for $5 million, although they’re reasonably well-equipped to handle his absence (and certainly used to it by now) with Michael Brantley shifting from left field to center field.
And between Grady’s back surgery and Scott’s torn ACL this has been a very tough week for Sizemores.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)