Mar 1, 2012, 4:08 PM EDT
Sizemore, who was already expected to miss Opening Day because of a back injury suffered three weeks ago, underwent micro discectomy surgery on his lower back and now will miss at least 8-12 weeks.
Given his lengthy injury history it’s tough to imagine Sizemore making a speedy recovery and returning 12 weeks from today would mean early June. Not exactly what the Indians had in mind when they declined his $8 million option and then re-signed Sizemore for $5 million, although they’re reasonably well-equipped to handle his absence (and certainly used to it by now) with Michael Brantley shifting from left field to center field.
And between Grady’s back surgery and Scott’s torn ACL this has been a very tough week for Sizemores.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 107
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8