Joe Maddon bought himself a present with his contract extension money

Mar 1, 2012, 11:41 AM EDT

joe maddon car

Fresh off a three-year extension with the Rays, manager Joe Maddon decided to get himself “a new contract present.”

Maddon bought a 1956 Chevy BelAir in Arizona, had it restored and updated, and then got it shipped to Rays camp in Florida so he can drive it around spring training.

Maddon told Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times that he initially wanted a Charger or a Roadrunner or a Barracuda, but couldn’t find one and ended up choosing the BelAir over a 1957 Chevy Nomad.

According to Maddon his wife was “all for it” because “she’s kind of like a guy sometimes”:

She likes big flat-screen TVs, she likes watching football on Sundays, she likes fast cars, she used to drink martinis, though she kind of toned that down a bit. She’s got a lot of great man-cave qualities about her.

Congrats to Joe Maddon, for the car and everything else.

1. shawnuel - Mar 1, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Maddon is definitely the coolest manager in baseball, if not the coolest GUY period. I’ll tell ya……if Tampa Bay had, even, moderate revenue streams and a more faithful fan base, this team would be the next dynasty. Great GM, Great manager, Terrific major league talent, top 5 farm system………

• El Bravo - Mar 1, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I say this half jokingly, but the Cubs could actually be that team you paint the picture of in about 5 years…the young talent/farm system and the great manager are two big ifs, but the pieces are there, and by God, they certainly have a better fan base than, well, anyone pretty much.

• kingbuccaneer - Mar 1, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Keep the dream goin Cubbie fans!

2. Jonny 5 - Mar 1, 2012 at 11:52 AM

56 Chevys are pretty cool, The gas filler pipe is hidden behind the swing away tail light. I like them much better than the 57 but prefer a 55 myself. The 57 had a bit too much bling and huge truck like bumpers. My dad and I restored the body on a 57 bel air a few years ago, ahhh bonding at it’s finest.

• El Bravo - Mar 1, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Much respect to you and anyone with a knack for restoring or simply working on cars at all. My inner hick always wished I could capably work on and tune cars, but alas, I’m a city boy now that hasn’t driven anything but a mazda zipcar in the last 5 years…I can tune my bicycle real nice though…

• Jonny 5 - Mar 1, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Thanks Bravo, but it’s all for our own pleasure… Wanna see the latest project? Here’s just about what it’ll look like in a few months.This one is going to be my Dad’s latest toy.

• cur68 - Mar 1, 2012 at 1:01 PM

That’s a ’68, isn’t it? NICE

• El Bravo - Mar 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Wow, awesome. I can only hope to play with toys like that when I grow up…

• Jonny 5 - Mar 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM

65 fastback. Built to Shelby specs.

• cur68 - Mar 1, 2012 at 4:38 PM

@J5: cargasm reached….

• jwbiii - Mar 1, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Bonding with Bondo. Cool!

3. aceshigh11 - Mar 1, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I LOVE this guy.

Meanwhile, I have to deal with the Bobby V circus for the foreseeable future.

• kingbuccaneer - Mar 1, 2012 at 1:30 PM

You’ll also have to deal with watching the Rays and Yankees play in the postseason… I guess Boston should start practicing the “flip play” lmao

4. cur68 - Mar 1, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I’m in love with Mrs Maddon…but Joe shoulda got a ’68 Mustang.

• yankeesfanlen - Mar 1, 2012 at 12:58 PM

At least Jonny had the sense to go back to Henry’s products.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 1, 2012 at 3:11 PM

As soon as I’m done restoring the house there’s a little 65′ coupe waiting for me to fix it up. But you know. I’m married and all…

• scatterbrian - Mar 1, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Bullitt

• cur68 - Mar 1, 2012 at 1:59 PM

…beats Vanishing Point.

• unclearnie - Mar 1, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Does she have a sister?

5. glink123 - Mar 1, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Joe = Winning

6. hemiguy08 - Mar 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM

It’s “Mopar or No Car” Joe…but a 56 with 89 Camaro rims isn’t a bad 4th option.

Too bad TB fans aren’t as appreciative of their team. I went to two games there back in April 2009. Both games against the BoSox (Carl Crawford 6 steals game was one of them), with two BoSox fans, and both games felt like BoSox home games..with a couple Yankee trolls thrown in for good measure to annoy BOTH fan bases.

Not sure where I was going with this post…

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2869)