Mar 1, 2012, 11:41 AM EST
Fresh off a three-year extension with the Rays, manager Joe Maddon decided to get himself “a new contract present.”
Maddon bought a 1956 Chevy BelAir in Arizona, had it restored and updated, and then got it shipped to Rays camp in Florida so he can drive it around spring training.
Maddon told Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times that he initially wanted a Charger or a Roadrunner or a Barracuda, but couldn’t find one and ended up choosing the BelAir over a 1957 Chevy Nomad.
According to Maddon his wife was “all for it” because “she’s kind of like a guy sometimes”:
She likes big flat-screen TVs, she likes watching football on Sundays, she likes fast cars, she used to drink martinis, though she kind of toned that down a bit. She’s got a lot of great man-cave qualities about her.
Congrats to Joe Maddon, for the car and everything else.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 6
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)