Mar 1, 2012, 11:41 AM EDT
Fresh off a three-year extension with the Rays, manager Joe Maddon decided to get himself “a new contract present.”
Maddon bought a 1956 Chevy BelAir in Arizona, had it restored and updated, and then got it shipped to Rays camp in Florida so he can drive it around spring training.
Maddon told Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times that he initially wanted a Charger or a Roadrunner or a Barracuda, but couldn’t find one and ended up choosing the BelAir over a 1957 Chevy Nomad.
According to Maddon his wife was “all for it” because “she’s kind of like a guy sometimes”:
She likes big flat-screen TVs, she likes watching football on Sundays, she likes fast cars, she used to drink martinis, though she kind of toned that down a bit. She’s got a lot of great man-cave qualities about her.
Congrats to Joe Maddon, for the car and everything else.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 9
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)