Mar 1, 2012, 11:41 AM EDT
Fresh off a three-year extension with the Rays, manager Joe Maddon decided to get himself “a new contract present.”
Maddon bought a 1956 Chevy BelAir in Arizona, had it restored and updated, and then got it shipped to Rays camp in Florida so he can drive it around spring training.
Maddon told Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times that he initially wanted a Charger or a Roadrunner or a Barracuda, but couldn’t find one and ended up choosing the BelAir over a 1957 Chevy Nomad.
According to Maddon his wife was “all for it” because “she’s kind of like a guy sometimes”:
She likes big flat-screen TVs, she likes watching football on Sundays, she likes fast cars, she used to drink martinis, though she kind of toned that down a bit. She’s got a lot of great man-cave qualities about her.
Congrats to Joe Maddon, for the car and everything else.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 50
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)