Looking back at Game 6

Mar 1, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT

Texas Rangers' Nelson Cruz misses a two RBI double off the wall by St. Louis Cardinals' David Freese in the ninth inning in Game 6 of MLB's World Series baseball championship in St. Louis

Rangers fans may not want to read it, but Bob Nightengale of USA Today has a great story about Game 6 of the World Series from the Rangers’ perspective.  It’s a fantastic blow-by-blow of what went down after the Rangers left the field with a 7-5 lead at the end of the eighth inning.

And not just the baseball stuff.  The behind the scenes stuff too:

The Rangers clubhouse had morphed into a party room. Sheets of plastic lined their lockers to protect their clothes in the celebration. Cases of Budweiser with the label, “Texas Rangers, 2011 World Series champions,” were in the middle of the room. Tubs of ice were filled with champagne …

Then, when Nelson Cruz failed to reach David Freese‘s triple:

MLB officials rushed into the Rangers clubhouse, ordering the celebratory champagne and beer to be stored and the plastic covering put away.

Pretty gut-wrenching stuff, but a great read.

1. texasdawg - Mar 1, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Rangers season tickets have been in my family for 30 years, consecutively. (This isn’t NYC or Boston; that just doesn’t happen here. With the Cowboys, definitely. With the Rangers? Laughable thought.)

I went to St. Louis of Games 6-7 (after being at 3-5 in Arlington). Was there, watched it unfold, etc.

A few weeks ago, out for dinner in Dallas one night, I ran into a Rangers board member. I haven’t gone back and watched any Game 6 (or 7) highlights, haven’t read much about it, and really just haven’t thought much at all about baseball this year. Like other die-hards around here I know, it’s really hard to get going again this year. It’s seems so pointless and hopeless.

Anyway, the board member gave me the basics of the same clubhouse scene Nightengale recounts there. Neither of us really wanted to talk much about it, and the conversation quickly moved to non-baseball stuff.

It all still makes me want to cry.

• fearlessleader - Mar 1, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Cardinal fan here. October 2011 was the first time I felt I was truly over the pain of the 1985 World Series (I was nine, and Game 6 was the day my childhood ended), so I understand and empathize even as I won’t pretend to be anything but thrilled at the way this one turned out.

Rub some dirt on it and get back on that horse, though, because I need your guys to beat the Angels this year. I am officially a Rangers fan for the foreseeable future. Good luck.

• stex52 - Mar 1, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Just remember one thing. Baseball exists to break your heart. It serves no other purpose in life. Not a Rangers fan myself, but we who love the game all have our own stories.

• christinas22 - Mar 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Looking for someone to share your fantasies with?
      Welcome to—onenightcupid.c/0/m—the best place to seek casual fun and no strings attached relationship. Hundreds of thousands of sexy women and handsome guys are active there. Come in and meet the perfect person, e.x.a.c.t.l.y. what you want for yourself. ;)

2. unlost1 - Mar 1, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I SOLD MY GAME 6 TICKET TO A RANGER FAN. I’LL CRY WITH YA.

3. kopy - Mar 1, 2012 at 1:17 PM

“I remember all of the people leaving the stadium,” Pujols said. “After we tied it, they wanted to get back in and couldn’t.”

This is why you NEVER leave a game before it is over. These stories pop up all the time.

4. El Bravo - Mar 1, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Wow even I feel bad for the Rangers…I forgot how totally close they were. The Texas Bills.

5. bringpudgebacktotx - Mar 1, 2012 at 1:31 PM

As a Rangers fan, that was the single worst night I have ever experienced. I have never left my parents house so quick. My father couldn’t change the channel fast enough while watching Freese’s homerun fly over the center field fence. World Champions was written in the stars for us that night. I avoided ESPN, MLB Network, even this website (which is hard because I love me some Craig Calcaterra) to see coverage of both Game 6 and 7.

Game 6 is still a ‘bad word’ in my household. My heart is still a little broken. But I believe this team is destined to be great and we will win the World Series. In Ron (and JD and Nolan) I trust..

Frickin’ David Freese.

6. SmackSaw - Mar 1, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Reminds me of Angels stories from ’82 and ’86. Ouch.

7. cur68 - Mar 1, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Thanks to Buck & McCarver, I was blind ‘effin, incoherent drunk for the last 2 innings of that game (damn live chat drinking games!). Since I really wanted a Ranger’s victory since I’d called them, at the start of the playoffs, to take it all, I was in a luckily anesthetized state to take it all in without qualms.The game itself has kind of morphed into a nearly hallucinated dream-like recollection with a Buck-McCarver voice over. Even now I can look at that rocket liner at Cruz and think: “Shut up, Buck, and while you’re at it, tighten McCarver’s tie till he’s purple”.

• The Rabbit - Mar 1, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Yeah, cur, we talked about this yesterday.
      I now know that McCarver and Buck were the reason I rushed to the hospital in the bottom of the 8th inning of game 6. I knew I should have been drinking.
      Very fortunately, there were TV’s in the ER cubicles so I could watch the game. I had the longest running ultrasound in the history of medicine which began in the top of the 9th which might explain the bill. The techncian was a Cardinals fan and he wasn’t leaving until the game was over which was, of course, 11 innings. Glad I got to see the whole game before surgery, though.

• cur68 - Mar 1, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I hope they gave you drugs. Anything to dull those two.

8. rkwhite321 - Mar 1, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I am a Ranger’s fan and Game 6 was the worst sports moment I have had in my lfie and I don’t see how anything can top it. Ever. Afterwards I tried to convince myself and everyone around me that it wasn’t that big of a deal. It’s only baseball. There are many things more important than a stupid baseball game. Yeah, I wasn’t fooling anyone.

9. antlerclaws - Mar 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I took a sports hiatus for about6 weeks after the WS. No baseball, hockey, nothing. I had recently watched “Reverse of the Curse of the Bambino” on HBO, about how Red Sox fans were out walking the streets, zombie-like after the 86 Series, and that was exactly the way I felt. it was rough.

10. miketreedy - Mar 1, 2012 at 4:11 PM

The worst sporting night of my life. We were all ready to run from the bar and get our Championship T-shirts. When I passed Dicks on the way home I saw them wheeling the Championship t-shirts back into storage. It made me sick. The only thing comparable was when Dwight Clark caught Montana’s pass in the back of the end zone. I wanted our little Rangers to be World Champions so damn bad, Well, it’s all the past now so bring on 2012! Maybe the third time is the charm.

11. hushbrother - Mar 1, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Imagine that it wasn’t Game 6, but Game 7 – game over, series over. And that it was the third straight year the Rangers had lost the World Series, and that they had battled back from down 3 games to 1 this time to reach the seventh game. And that after the series, Josh Hamilton, Ian Kinsler, Mike Napoli and Michael Young all left the team as free agents. And finally, that they would follow this loss with 19 consecutive losing seasons.

Now you have some idea of what it’s like to be a Pittsburgh Pirates fan.

12. Chipmaker - Mar 2, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I peeled the foil off my bottle of champagne after the seventh inning.

Didn’t get around to uncorking it until New Year’s Eve, though. sigh.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act