Mar 1, 2012, 7:00 PM EST
Rangers catcher Mike Napoli has taken a big step forward in his ongoing recovery from the high ankle sprain that he suffered in World Series Game 6.
According to Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com, the 30-year-old slugger caught three innings Thursday in an instrasquad game and “felt good.”
Napoli had been limited to drills and light jogging since arriving in Rangers camp due to lingering pain in his left ankle. But he seems to be moving rapidly past that discomfort, and is expected to be fully healthy by the start of the regular season.
Napoli batted .320/.414/.631 with 30 home runs and 75 RBI in 113 games last year for Texas. He told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on Wednesday night that he intends to test the free agent market in the fall.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)