Quote of the Day II: Pilates: it’s not just “for chicks”

Mar 1, 2012, 12:29 PM EDT

Dillon Gee Getty Images

Dillon Gee of the Mets has embraced a new training regimen. And you can read all about it over at NJ.com. His trenchant analysis of it:

“Pilates is awesome,” Gee said. “You think it’s for chicks, and it should be easy — and it’s hard.”

I guess Pilates is not one of those things like yoga that improves both the body and the mind. Oh well.

1. cur68 - Mar 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I totally misread that. I thought he was doing it to get the chicks, not that he thought it was easy ’cause chicks did it. Dang, I think way less of him after reading this. Hey Dillon, the ladies give birth too. Think that’s easy ’cause they do it?

• stex52 - Mar 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Best point all day. SE approves.

• spindervish - Mar 1, 2012 at 4:35 PM

That’s not a good point at all. Mabry’s reading is way more reasonable.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Mar 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM

To be totally fair, many workout regimes that are “designed for women” aren’t grueling workouts by any stretch of the imagination, and that’s probably what his original impression of pilates was. Which doesn’t by any means make the way he said it sound any smarter, but I can understand a person who’s a professional athlete thinking that a “ladies workout” wouldn’t be particularly strenuous. I’m thinking of the Zumbas of the world here, and I imagine he was as well.

I don’t think his point was “Women can do it, so it must be easy”, but rather “Workouts designed for women tend to be easy”. But nobody ever accused a ballplayer of eloquence.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Mar 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM

(Note: I’m aware that Pilates isn’t a workout designed for women or anything along those lines. But given the modern messaging around it, I think a little ignorance of what actually constitutes Pilates was understandable. Still not excusing his phrasing)

2. l0yalr0yal - Mar 1, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Also, not just for chicks: Vagisil.

I was about 13 or 14 years old in Oklahoma City at a baseball tournament. In our second game, I pulled my groin muscle, but was still expected to pitch in the morning, so my mother went and bought me some ben-gay. Whilst applying it to my groin, a subtle shift caused me to apply said pain relieving cream directly to my crotchal region. I didn’t want to tell my mom, because, you know… it was my junk and I don’t like to talk to mom about my junk. After dancing around the hotel for a good thirty minutes (on the brink of tears I might add), I decided it was time to tell mom.

“Here honey, I have this cream…” she says in that reassuring mom voice. “This will make it all better.”

Daggummed stuff worked. I come out of the bathroom feeling relieved, with a hint of slighty tarnished pride. I ask my mom exactly what it was that she gave me, because it’s like a miracle cream.

“Oh, it’s Vagisil! It’s great, right?”

• phukyouk - Mar 1, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I… don’t… know.. what…to….say

• paulsdamnblog - Mar 1, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I have 2 things to say about your story. First, it should be called “Quote of the Day III”. Second… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9W6YPih0SA&feature=related

3. El Bravo - Mar 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Well said. (Craig, not Gee). Pilates don’t f@ck’round…

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3924)