Mar 1, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
Unearthed this gem of a quote from Bobby Cox, former manager of the “Great in the Regular Season But Flame Out in the Playoffs Against Inferior Opposition” Atlanta Braves. Certainly has relevance today in light of the playoffs being expanded once again:
“You shouldn’t get nothing for second or third. Baseball has set it up the way they want, of course, and I have nothing to do with it. I’m not knocking baseball at all, but in my opinion I’d like to see the two . . . best teams in baseball in the World Series. It’s hard to swallow sometimes when you play all year and you win a lot of games and you lose to somebody who did not play as good as you consistently all year.
Preach Bobby. I don’t care what the haters say: winning the division all those times was really cool, and it’s alright if you disappointed in the playoffs.
Oh, wait. This just in: that wasn’t Bobby Cox in 1999. It was Phillies manager Charlie Manuel yesterday. Never mind then.
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 18
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 14
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 28
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 46
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (185)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)