Mar 1, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
Unearthed this gem of a quote from Bobby Cox, former manager of the “Great in the Regular Season But Flame Out in the Playoffs Against Inferior Opposition” Atlanta Braves. Certainly has relevance today in light of the playoffs being expanded once again:
“You shouldn’t get nothing for second or third. Baseball has set it up the way they want, of course, and I have nothing to do with it. I’m not knocking baseball at all, but in my opinion I’d like to see the two . . . best teams in baseball in the World Series. It’s hard to swallow sometimes when you play all year and you win a lot of games and you lose to somebody who did not play as good as you consistently all year.
Preach Bobby. I don’t care what the haters say: winning the division all those times was really cool, and it’s alright if you disappointed in the playoffs.
Oh, wait. This just in: that wasn’t Bobby Cox in 1999. It was Phillies manager Charlie Manuel yesterday. Never mind then.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 0
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 28
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 105
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (105)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (80)