Mar 1, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
A few weeks ago Jorge De La Rosa was said to be ahead of schedule in his recovery from Tommy John elbow surgery, leading to speculation that he might return to game action sooner than expected, but the Rockies are still being cautious with his timetable.
Pitching coach Bob Apodaca told Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post that “our hope” is to have De La Rosa back in the rotation in July, which would be about 14 months after the surgery.
He’ll need to avoid setbacks in the meantime and Saunders reports that De La Rosa will throw multiple bullpen sessions during the next week and then advance to facing live hitters in batting practice.
“BP will probably come in the latter part of spring training,” Apodaca told Saunders. “He will get into ballgames in extended spring after that. I don’t think we are in a hurry. When it’s his time, he will get back to us.”
De La Rosa, who made 10 starts with a 3.51 ERA before being shut down last season, is under contract for $10 million this year.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 52
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 16
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 7
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 75
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (78)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful