Shane Victorino wants a five-year deal from the Phillies

Mar 1, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT

Shane Victorino

Shane Victorino will make $9.5 million this season in the final year of a three-year deal and the center fielder told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that he’d like to re-sign with the Phillies on a five-year contract because “my agents say I can get a five-year deal on the market … why not trust them?”

And the sooner the better, as Victorino asked “why not make it happen now?” and made it very clear that he wants to play in Philadelphia for the rest of his career:

I love this place. This is the place that gave me my chance. I’m a World Series champion in this city. That’s stuff that forever will be remembered. I want to be here.

As for giving the Phillies a hometown discount to get a deal done, Victorino said:

If it’s a significant difference, I have to weigh my options. I obviously love playing in Philly. They made me who I am. That sits in the back of my mind. But I also understand there’s a window in this game. Age and time comes into play. When I say I don’t want to go anywhere, yeah, I call this home and I want to finish my career here, but we’ll see how it goes. I won’t say I won’t take a hometown discount, but I also will say I want to maximize my opportunity with not only what I’ve accomplished as an individual, but as part of a team.

In other words, he wants to stay in Philadelphia as long as they’re willing to pay market value or something very close. Which is perfectly reasonable, of course.

David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News, citing recent deals for other over-30 center fielders, speculates that a five-year deal would be worth at least $65 million–Jimmy Rollins re-signed with the Phillies for $38 million over three years–but for now Victorino told Salisbury that the two sides “are not close.”

1. randygnyc - Mar 1, 2012 at 5:31 PM

OMG, 5 years, 65 million for him?!?!?! He’s probably the most overrated center fielders in America. SIGN HIM, NOW PHILLY!

• Ari Collins - Mar 1, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Uhh, what? 5/$65 would be a great deal. He’s easily a top 5 CF.

• phillyphreak - Mar 2, 2012 at 7:11 AM

He’s in or near top 5 CF now, but I’m not sure about 3 or 4 years from now. The AAV is right on for that kind of deal, it’s just the length that is concerning. I can see arguments in both directions.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 2, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Phreak, I’m thinking he’d need to take a hometown discount to get 5 years. I’d rather pay him more per year to cut it down to 3-4.

• phillyphreak - Mar 2, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Yea I was kind of wondering that too J5. Still haven’t made up my mind though.

• christinas22 - Mar 1, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Looking for someone to share your fantasies with?
      Welcome to—onenightcupid.c/0/m—the best place to seek casual fun and no strings attached relationship. Hundreds of thousands of sexy women and handsome guys are active there. Come in and meet the perfect person, e.x.a.c.t.l.y. what you want for yourself. ^_^

2. yankeesfanlen - Mar 1, 2012 at 5:40 PM

The Phightens deserve credit for emulating my favorite baseball business model- sign him!

3. illad3lph1a - Mar 1, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Randygnc…. Shane covers just as much ground then any other cf he’s good for 30-50 steals every year, and he has pop in his bat, and he’s pretty clutch when you look at his past. I would love to see him stay with Philly I just hope he doesn’t get caught up on money bc teams will just try to drive the price up to hurt the Phills.

• phillyphreak - Mar 1, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Deep breath and pull it in a bit. He’s never stolen 50 bases before.

4. The Rabbit - Mar 1, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I love me some Victorino but a five year deal for $65M? I get sticker shock looking at that number, but I had the same reaction to Papelbon,
    Given some of the other contracts the Phillies have signed, I can certainly understand his expectations.
    (BTW Did you know he was Hawaiian? Isn’t in some Sports Writers’ Guild contract to mention it in every article?)

• chadjones27 - Mar 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Hawaiian? Really? I did not know that

• Utley's Hair - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Has Aaron been heard from since he committed this major faux pas? Maybe the (Hawaiian) baseball gods have struck him down because of it…?

5. jason1214 - Mar 1, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Hmmm 5yrs $125 for Howard, 4yrs $50 for Pabelbon. Victorino wants 5/65, oh and there’s still Hamels and his oh 6/85…good luck Philly.

• oasiserfede - Mar 1, 2012 at 9:16 PM

6/85 for Hamels…….don’t think so.

• jason1214 - Mar 1, 2012 at 9:26 PM

He’s better than CJ Wilson, you’ll be surprised what he gets.

• skerney - Mar 1, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Hamels and Cain will both get nine figures.

• oasiserfede - Mar 1, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Was actually trying to imply that 6/85 was a very conservative estimate. Were Hamels to get 6 years, it probably wouldn’t be for less 120 million…..

6. deathmonkey41 - Mar 1, 2012 at 9:29 PM

The little fiery I-talian needs to start hitting for average and stop trying to clear the fences at Citizen’s Bank Ballpark every time he’s up.

7. Jonny 5 - Mar 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I’d say the Phills need to find a way to keep Victorino. This guy is a class act. And better yet, he’s really good at what he does, one of the best players on the team actually.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Jonny, I’m appalled at your lack of tact with regard to his heritage!!!!!

Other than that, I say hell yeah, they need to find a way to keep him. He’s quite the popular figure in these parts—always looking out for the kids and his ever bubbly personality.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 2, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I slipped!

8. bacardipr05 - Mar 2, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Love Shane but a 5 year contract is too far fetched. Shane relies mostly on his speed. His speed is what gets him to the ball since he takes slightly weird routes when tracking down a ball. He is about the age where this speed will start to decline and he may not get to some of those balls. Or be able to correct for slight errors in his routes. Shane is my favorite player. He is always been gritty headstrong and has never moaned about been underpaid. I admire that he is willing to take a home discount and said so. Cole has to be the priority unfortunately and even Shane admitted to that. Whomever said 6/85 that wont happen. Cole will be looking for something in the area of 5/110 Million. Unless Mayberry has a bad year and Brown fails to advance most likely Shane wont be back. They also need a 3B and there is no one really in the Minors to fulfill a starters role. I can see the Phils possibly signing Shane to a 3 year deal with possible intentions on trading him if Mayberry and Dom Brown pan out. However, this is a unlikely scenario and at present i dont think Shane will be back.

9. stex52 - Mar 2, 2012 at 11:40 AM

WAR for the last four years certainly supports that contract. The problem I have (and I don’t get to see him that much) is going on past WAR is like projecting the stock market based on past performance. Is a CF going to keep the speed up for the length of that contract? Like several others here, I would think more AAV on a shorter contract makes a lot of sense.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3514)