Shane Victorino wants a five-year deal from the Phillies

Mar 1, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT

Shane Victorino

Shane Victorino will make $9.5 million this season in the final year of a three-year deal and the center fielder told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that he’d like to re-sign with the Phillies on a five-year contract because “my agents say I can get a five-year deal on the market … why not trust them?”

And the sooner the better, as Victorino asked “why not make it happen now?” and made it very clear that he wants to play in Philadelphia for the rest of his career:

I love this place. This is the place that gave me my chance. I’m a World Series champion in this city. That’s stuff that forever will be remembered. I want to be here.

As for giving the Phillies a hometown discount to get a deal done, Victorino said:

If it’s a significant difference, I have to weigh my options. I obviously love playing in Philly. They made me who I am. That sits in the back of my mind. But I also understand there’s a window in this game. Age and time comes into play. When I say I don’t want to go anywhere, yeah, I call this home and I want to finish my career here, but we’ll see how it goes. I won’t say I won’t take a hometown discount, but I also will say I want to maximize my opportunity with not only what I’ve accomplished as an individual, but as part of a team.

In other words, he wants to stay in Philadelphia as long as they’re willing to pay market value or something very close. Which is perfectly reasonable, of course.

David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News, citing recent deals for other over-30 center fielders, speculates that a five-year deal would be worth at least $65 million–Jimmy Rollins re-signed with the Phillies for $38 million over three years–but for now Victorino told Salisbury that the two sides “are not close.”

Latest Posts
  1. Cole Hamels likely to join Phillies’ rotation next Wednesday

Apr 19, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT

Cole Hamels AP AP

Cole Hamels is on track to face the Dodgers next Wednesday in Los Angeles.

2. Reds activate reliever Sean Marshall from the disabled list

Apr 19, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT

Sean Marshall Getty Getty Images

The Reds are hoping that Sean Marshall’s shoulder issues are behind him.

3. Denard Span activated from 7-day concussion disabled list

Apr 19, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT

denard span getty Getty Images

Denard Span had no issues during a brief minor league rehab assignment.

4. Cesar Cabral designated for assignment by Yankees after rough night on the mound

Apr 19, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT

Cesar Cabral AP AP

Cesar Cabral was ejected after hitting three batters Friday against the Rays. And then his night got worse.

5. Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches

Apr 19, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT

transfer rule

Adjustments to each rule could be made soon.

6. VIDEO: Albert Pujols’ 497th career home run

Apr 19, 2014, 9:21 AM EDT

Albert Pujols AP AP

Angels first baseman Albert Pujols is closing in on a milestone.

7. Settling the Score: Friday’s results

Apr 19, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT

Aaron Hill AP AP

They needed extra innings to do it, but the Diamondbacks snapped a six-game losing streak last night and finally got a win against the Dodgers.

8. Unwritten rules lead to hard feelings in Astros-A’s game

Apr 19, 2014, 3:24 AM EDT

lowrie porter 2

Can’t someone please write these things down so we can all keep track?

9. Martin Maldonado literally hit the cover off of a baseball

Apr 19, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT

Martin Maldonado Martin Maldonado

One of baseball’s older cliches came true on Friday night thanks to Martin Maldonado.

10. Blue Jays activate Jose Reyes, place Adam Lind on the disabled list

Apr 18, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT

Jose Reyes Jose Reyes

The Blue Jays get a shortstop back, but lose their designated hitter.

11. Jeff Samardzija says he wants a big-money contract to help future players

Apr 18, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT

Jeff Samardzija Jeff Samardzija

Jeff Samardzija unselfishly wants to get paid. It’s not as crazy as it sounds.

12. White Sox place Donnie Veal on outright waivers

Apr 18, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT

Donnie Veal Donnie Veal

After consistent battles with his control, Donnie Veal ran out of chances with the White Sox.

13. Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues

Apr 18, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT

San Diego Padres v Pittsburgh Pirates Getty Images

Jason Bartlett will call it quits after playing shortstop in the big leagues over ten seasons.

14. Update: Luis Avilan loses Aaron Harang’s no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning

Apr 18, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT

Aaron Harang Aaron Harang

One of the most unlikely pitchers to throw a no-hitter is working on a no-hitter.

15. Brewers sign Jeremy Jeffress to a minor league deal

Apr 18, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

Jeremy Jeffress Jeremy Jeffress

The Brewers got their first round pick from the 2006 draft back.

16. Diamondbacks activate Cody Ross from the disabled list

Apr 18, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT

Arizona Diamondbacks Photo Day Getty Images

The Diamondbacks will get some power back in their lineup as Cody Ross returns.

17. Red Sox designate Ryan Roberts for assignment, call up Brock Holt

Apr 18, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT

Ryan Roberts Ryan Roberts

Ryan Roberts wasn’t hitting; Brock Holt was, so the Red Sox decided to make a change with Will Middlebrooks still recovering from an injury.

18. Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets

Apr 18, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT

Ike Davis Ike Davis

The Pirates and Mets each address their problems with an Ike Davis trade.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5214)