Shane Victorino wants a five-year deal from the Phillies

Mar 1, 2012, 5:07 PM EST

Shane Victorino

Shane Victorino will make $9.5 million this season in the final year of a three-year deal and the center fielder told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that he’d like to re-sign with the Phillies on a five-year contract because “my agents say I can get a five-year deal on the market … why not trust them?”

And the sooner the better, as Victorino asked “why not make it happen now?” and made it very clear that he wants to play in Philadelphia for the rest of his career:

I love this place. This is the place that gave me my chance. I’m a World Series champion in this city. That’s stuff that forever will be remembered. I want to be here.

As for giving the Phillies a hometown discount to get a deal done, Victorino said:

If it’s a significant difference, I have to weigh my options. I obviously love playing in Philly. They made me who I am. That sits in the back of my mind. But I also understand there’s a window in this game. Age and time comes into play. When I say I don’t want to go anywhere, yeah, I call this home and I want to finish my career here, but we’ll see how it goes. I won’t say I won’t take a hometown discount, but I also will say I want to maximize my opportunity with not only what I’ve accomplished as an individual, but as part of a team.

In other words, he wants to stay in Philadelphia as long as they’re willing to pay market value or something very close. Which is perfectly reasonable, of course.

David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News, citing recent deals for other over-30 center fielders, speculates that a five-year deal would be worth at least $65 million–Jimmy Rollins re-signed with the Phillies for $38 million over three years–but for now Victorino told Salisbury that the two sides “are not close.”

Latest Posts
  1. White Sox claim Onelki Garcia off waivers from the Dodgers

Nov 20, 2014, 11:55 PM EST

Onelki Garcia Onelki Garcia

The White Sox claimed a potentially promising arm in Onelki Garcia on a waiver claim from the Dodgers.

2. Pirates designate Ike Davis for assignment

Nov 20, 2014, 11:05 PM EST

Ike Davis Ike Davis

The Pirates designated Ike Davis for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster.

3. Mariners claim Edgar Olmos off waivers from the Marlins

Nov 20, 2014, 10:15 PM EST

Edgar Olmos Edgar Olmos

The Mariners added some bullpen depth, claiming Edgar Olmos off waivers from the Marlins on Thursday.

4. Padres trade Reymond Fuentes to the Royals for Kyle Bartsch

Nov 20, 2014, 9:25 PM EST

Reymond Fuentes Reymond Fuentes

The Padres and Royals made a trade ahead of the 40-man roster deadline.

5. Rays expected to designate Jose Molina for assignment

Nov 20, 2014, 8:35 PM EST

Jose Molina Jose Molina

The Rays are expected to eschew Jose Molina from their 40-man roster ahead of the midnight deadline.

6. That thing about Jose Canseco’s finger falling off? It was a hoax.

Nov 20, 2014, 7:45 PM EST

Jose Canseco Jose Canseco

Jose Canseco made up the whole thing about his reattached finger falling off and wanting to sell it on the Internet.

7. White Sox among teams interested in Melky Cabrera

Nov 20, 2014, 6:55 PM EST

Melky Cabrera AP

The White Sox are apparently one of three teams showing interest in free agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.

8. Pirates claim Pedro Florimon off waivers from the Nationals

Nov 20, 2014, 6:05 PM EST

Pedro Florimon Pedro Florimon

The Pirates picked up Pedro Florimon off waivers from the Nationals on Thursday evening.

9. Yankees sell Zelous Wheeler to Japanese team

Nov 20, 2014, 5:17 PM EST

Zelous Wheeler Yankees Getty Images

Wheeler made his big-league debut this season when injuries wrecked the Yankees’ roster.

10. Rockies designate Juan Nicasio for assignment

Nov 20, 2014, 4:46 PM EST

Juan Nicasio Getty Getty Images

As recently as mid-September manager Walt Weiss was talking Nicasio up as a reliever for 2015.

11. The Braves are a “dark horse” for Yasmany Tomas

Nov 20, 2014, 4:30 PM EST

yasmany tomas getty Getty Images

Could a team that is unloading salary go nine-figures on an outfielder?

12. White Sox designate Ronald Belisario for assignment

Nov 20, 2014, 3:45 PM EST

Ronald Belisario AP

Belisario served as the White Sox’s closer for part of this season.

13. Tigers claim Josh Zeid off waivers from Astros

Nov 20, 2014, 3:15 PM EST

Josh Zeid Astros AP

Zeid underwent season-ending foot surgery in July.

14. The pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League were a mixed bag

Nov 20, 2014, 3:01 PM EST

pitch clock

And it’s not at all clear when or if those experiments will translate into rules changes.

15. Phillies have “cooled” on signing Yasmany Tomas

Nov 20, 2014, 12:50 PM EST

yasmany tomas getty Getty Images

Presumed front-runners may have changed their minds.

16. Nationals telling teams Jordan Zimmermann is “available”

Nov 20, 2014, 12:14 PM EST

Jordan Zimmermann AP

Zimmermann has just one season remaining until he’s eligible for free agency and the 28-year-old right-hander is in line for a massive payday.

17. Yasmany Tomas is unlikely to sign in the next couple of weeks

Nov 20, 2014, 11:34 AM EST

yasmani tomas cuba getty Getty Images

The Cuban outfielder is letting his market develop, it seems.

18. Who are the favorites to sign Max Scherzer?

Nov 20, 2014, 10:45 AM EST

Max Scherzer AP

For now at least there doesn’t seem to be a clear front-runner.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. G. Stanton (3852)