Shane Victorino wants a five-year deal from the Phillies

Mar 1, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT

Shane Victorino

Shane Victorino will make $9.5 million this season in the final year of a three-year deal and the center fielder told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that he’d like to re-sign with the Phillies on a five-year contract because “my agents say I can get a five-year deal on the market … why not trust them?”

And the sooner the better, as Victorino asked “why not make it happen now?” and made it very clear that he wants to play in Philadelphia for the rest of his career:

I love this place. This is the place that gave me my chance. I’m a World Series champion in this city. That’s stuff that forever will be remembered. I want to be here.

As for giving the Phillies a hometown discount to get a deal done, Victorino said:

If it’s a significant difference, I have to weigh my options. I obviously love playing in Philly. They made me who I am. That sits in the back of my mind. But I also understand there’s a window in this game. Age and time comes into play. When I say I don’t want to go anywhere, yeah, I call this home and I want to finish my career here, but we’ll see how it goes. I won’t say I won’t take a hometown discount, but I also will say I want to maximize my opportunity with not only what I’ve accomplished as an individual, but as part of a team.

In other words, he wants to stay in Philadelphia as long as they’re willing to pay market value or something very close. Which is perfectly reasonable, of course.

David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News, citing recent deals for other over-30 center fielders, speculates that a five-year deal would be worth at least $65 million–Jimmy Rollins re-signed with the Phillies for $38 million over three years–but for now Victorino told Salisbury that the two sides “are not close.”

Latest Posts
  1. A.J. Burnett: “I expect to be throwing soon for the Pirates, because I feel great.”

Sep 4, 2015, 11:40 PM EDT

A.J. Burnett AP

A.J. Burnett feels great and wants to pitch again for the Pirates before the end of the season.

2. Chris Davis takes major league home run lead with two homers on Friday

Sep 4, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT

Chris Davis Getty Images

Chris Davis homered twice against the Blue Jays on Friday to move past Nelson Cruz for the major league home run lead.

3. Billy Hamilton will begin a rehab assignment on Saturday

Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT

Billy Hamilton Billy Hamilton

Reds outfielder Billy Hamilton will rehab at Double-A and should rejoin the big league squad soon.

4. Wil Myers activated from the 60-day disabled list

Sep 4, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT

wil myers getty Getty Images

Wil Myers will make his long awaited return to the Padres’ lineup on Friday night after missing nearly three months with a wrist injury.

5. Astros, Dallas Keuchel table extension talks until the off-season

Sep 4, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT

Dallas Keuchel Dallas Keuchel

The Astros want to sign Dallas Keuchel to at least a four-year extension, but the two sides won’t negotiate until the season is over.

6. James Paxton out “at least three or four days” with torn fingernail

Sep 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT

James Paxton James Paxton

James Paxton will sit for a few days while his fingernail heals, then resume rehabbing with Triple-A Tacoma.

7. Corey Kluber tweaks hamstring, expected to miss 10 days

Sep 4, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT

Corey Kluber Corey Kluber

Corey Kluber will miss 10 days after tweaking his hamstring in a side session.

8. Report: Job of Tigers manager Brad Ausmus in jeopardy

Sep 4, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT

Seattle Mariners v Detroit Tigers Getty Images

Brad Ausmus could soon be out of a job as the Tigers sink in the AL Central.

9. Domonic Brown diagnosed with a concussion

Sep 4, 2015, 5:03 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 4.43.54 PM

Brown may be done for the year.

10. Justin Morneau returns from concussion, rejoins Rockies

Sep 4, 2015, 4:47 PM EDT

Justin Morneau Getty Images

Any further concussion-related problems could force the former MVP into retirement

11. Cardinals activate outfielder Jon Jay from the disabled list

Sep 4, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT

jon jay getty Getty Images

Jay missed the past two months with a wrist injury.

12. Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey

Sep 4, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT

Sandy Alderson AP

The Matt Harvey controversy is a lot like the Stephen Strasburg shutdown of 2012. But Sandy Alderson is not going to do what Mike Rizzo did, someone close to him says.

13. Yankees (finally) place Mark Teixeira on the disabled list

Sep 4, 2015, 11:33 AM EDT

Mark Teixeira AP

Teixeira suffered the injury on August 17.

14. Scott Boras and the Mets disagree on what Matt Harvey’s innings limit is

Sep 4, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT

Matt Harvey Matt Harvey

Just when you thought the Mets would enjoy a smooth, controversy-free final month of the regular season.

1. J. Baez (2224)