Mar 2, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
A guy from here in Columbus, Ohio has written a movie about Dummy Hoy, the man who played for 14 years in the majors in the late 19th and early 20th century, stealing over 500 bases despite being deaf. The name: “The Silent Natural”:
Steve Sandy of Columbus has a screenplay ready for a movie about Dummy Hoy, the deaf-mute Reds Hall of Fame outfielder who was responsible for umpires using hand signals … “It will not be an entirely silent film like ‘The Artist’… Only the deaf roles would be captioned like ‘The Artist,’ ” he said … “It needs a gentle nudge in the right direction. The script is completed and ready to go,” he said.
Note: that bit about the hand signals for “safe” and “out” is disputed. Many think that an umpire named Bill Klem did it. Sandy argues otherwise. Probably of no moment.
Anyway, they film needs investors. But I suppose if they walk into studios and try to pitch it as “The Artist, but on a baseball diamond!” they’ll get their money. That’s how Hollywood works, right?
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)