Mar 2, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
A guy from here in Columbus, Ohio has written a movie about Dummy Hoy, the man who played for 14 years in the majors in the late 19th and early 20th century, stealing over 500 bases despite being deaf. The name: “The Silent Natural”:
Steve Sandy of Columbus has a screenplay ready for a movie about Dummy Hoy, the deaf-mute Reds Hall of Fame outfielder who was responsible for umpires using hand signals … “It will not be an entirely silent film like ‘The Artist’… Only the deaf roles would be captioned like ‘The Artist,’ ” he said … “It needs a gentle nudge in the right direction. The script is completed and ready to go,” he said.
Note: that bit about the hand signals for “safe” and “out” is disputed. Many think that an umpire named Bill Klem did it. Sandy argues otherwise. Probably of no moment.
Anyway, they film needs investors. But I suppose if they walk into studios and try to pitch it as “The Artist, but on a baseball diamond!” they’ll get their money. That’s how Hollywood works, right?
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 100
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)