Mar 2, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
Albert Pujols had 7,433 plate appearances for the Cardinals and 82.6 percent of those came as a No. 3 hitter, but the Angels aren’t certain yet where he’ll bat in their lineup.
Mike Scioscia told Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com that he’s leaning toward keeping Pujols in the No. 3 spot, in part because it guarantees he’ll bat in the first inning of every game and in part because he’ll get more plate appearances than he would batting cleanup.
Under what circumstances would he bat Pujols fourth?
If there’s issues with our [No. 9 hitter] not being productive, our 1 and 2 guys struggling a bit, there’s definitely a look that we’re going to have that might put [high on-base guys] 1-2-3 with Albert hitting fourth. That’s a possibility. It’s not our preference. But you have to consider it.
Various batting order analysis has shown that you want a hitter like Pujols batting third instead of fourth, and in fact based on statistical analysis alone there’s a strong argument for the best hitter on a team batting second. It all depends on the rest of the lineup options, of course, but sticking with Pujols as a No. 3 hitter makes the most sense, presumably with Erick Aybar and Bobby Abreu in front of him.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 30
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 54
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)