Mar 2, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Albert Pujols had 7,433 plate appearances for the Cardinals and 82.6 percent of those came as a No. 3 hitter, but the Angels aren’t certain yet where he’ll bat in their lineup.
Mike Scioscia told Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com that he’s leaning toward keeping Pujols in the No. 3 spot, in part because it guarantees he’ll bat in the first inning of every game and in part because he’ll get more plate appearances than he would batting cleanup.
Under what circumstances would he bat Pujols fourth?
If there’s issues with our [No. 9 hitter] not being productive, our 1 and 2 guys struggling a bit, there’s definitely a look that we’re going to have that might put [high on-base guys] 1-2-3 with Albert hitting fourth. That’s a possibility. It’s not our preference. But you have to consider it.
Various batting order analysis has shown that you want a hitter like Pujols batting third instead of fourth, and in fact based on statistical analysis alone there’s a strong argument for the best hitter on a team batting second. It all depends on the rest of the lineup options, of course, but sticking with Pujols as a No. 3 hitter makes the most sense, presumably with Erick Aybar and Bobby Abreu in front of him.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 0
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 55
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 45
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (238)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)