Mar 2, 2012, 2:50 PM EDT
Hal Steinbrenner made headlines yesterday for saying that the Yankees will get their payroll below $189 million by 2014 despite spending at least $200 million every season since 2007.
Today reporters asked general manager Brian Cashman for his thoughts about that plan and his answer was a good one: “We’re still the Yankees. We’re still going to outspend everybody else. That’s not going to change.
And he’s right, because even if player salaries continue to rise $189 million in 2014 may still be the highest payroll in baseball. Last year the Yankees spent $203 million, the Phillies were second at $173 million, and the Red Sox were third at $161 million.
On the other hand, while the Yankees will probably still lead MLB in spending their advantage will shrink. This season’s payroll is projected to be around $210 million and the Yankees already have $75 million committed to just four players (Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira, CC Sabathia) in 2014. They won’t stop being the top-spenders, but the days of the Yankees out-spending everyone else by $30-$50 million may be short-lived.
Assuming, of course, that Steinbrenner is as committed to getting under the upcoming luxury tax threshold as he claims.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 25
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)