Bryan Petersen emulates Logan Morrison in all of the wrong ways

Mar 2, 2012, 7:19 PM EDT

Bryan Petersen AP

The Marlins have a second outfielder whose tweets they may need to worry about.

Bryan Petersen, a 25-year-old outfielder with a shot of making the team as a bench player this spring, tweeted the following this evening:

For those of u who think u have to hit .330 with 30 and 100 to have a life off the field, suck it. It’s not my fault u hate ur 9 to 5.

The sentiment isn’t so wrong. The delivery, though, could definitely use some work.

Oh, and just in case Petersen’s tweet wasn’t going to get enough attention with his 8,000+ followers, the game’s most notorious tweeting player, Marlins teammate Logan Morrison, retweeted it to his 93,000+ followers.

Petersen, for what it’s worth, was pretty impressive with his .265/.357/.387 line in 204 at-bats last season, though that came with all of 10 RBI (he hit .300 with the bases empty, .203 with runners on). He has a chance to be a pretty good part-timer going forward, but as far more of a fringe player than Morrison, he’s not going to get as much leeway for any missteps.

1. djpostl - Mar 2, 2012 at 7:31 PM

With that OF this scrub is gonna get more attention for his Tweets than he’ll ever get in MLB.

2. brewcrewfan54 - Mar 2, 2012 at 8:16 PM

If he he doesn’t like or can’t take criticism he should find a new line of work.

• metalhead65 - Mar 2, 2012 at 9:41 PM

so you can say anything you want about a guy because he is a athlete and he is not allowed to say anything back? or only allowed to say what is pc correct in return? he may suck but he is in the big leagues and your not. he has the right to say whatever he wants just like you do.

• brewcrewfan54 - Mar 2, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Why would you make this about me? The guy is complaining about being criticized when he knows it goes with the territory. Complaining about the fans isn’t going to het him a whole lot of sympathy from anyone.

3. lostsok - Mar 2, 2012 at 10:58 PM

When his career as a mediocre backup ends in, oh, about an hour…he’ll be a 9 to 5er. Hope he likes it.

4. Old Gator - Mar 3, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I really weesh the Feesh had packaged Morrison for Matt Garza instead of Krazy Karlos Lamebraino or a real third baseman during the offseason and moved the Hanster to the outfield where his speed could have been a real asset covering ground. Morrison is a dramatically overrated hitter and justifiably underrated defender. If he has some kind of inexplicable cachet with other GMs, for Buddha’s sake maximize his value now before another season of .145 RSP and another raft of line drives over his head makes it clearer to them that he’s running on charisma instead of talent.

• JBerardi - Mar 3, 2012 at 8:48 AM

You’re underrating Morrison based on batting average flukes (both his full season BA and his RSP BA), which in terms of classic blunders ranks up there with Asian land wars.

Morrison had a bad BABIP last year but he’s got power, a good walk rate and a perfectly reasonable strikeout rate for a power hitter. He’s a .800, .850 OPS guy in left field, and if you look around baseball, there aren’t that many of those guys left these days. If anything, trading him now would be selling low.

• addictedzone - Mar 3, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Obviously spoken by a true Sicilian baseball fan.

• Old Gator - Mar 3, 2012 at 11:31 AM

JB – I don’t think so. Morrison’s name has come up in trade negotiations for some pretty good ballplayers and the Feesh have nixed those trades each time. I think they’re going to regret that, and I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree about whether his 2011 offensive numbers were flukes or not until his performance this season proves otherwise.

• cur68 - Mar 3, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I’m not interested in telling you what to think, Gator (I’ll leave that up to others), but as an opinion I think Morrison could indeed bounce back well enough this season. In fact, given his youth, I think regression to the mean is pretty likely. In any case, I look forward to your comments on his performance this season. I’m convinced he reads these things: I detect a hint of “anti-Gator bias” in some of his babbling about his detractors. Its really brought his twitting up a notch. Regardless of any of this, I’d trade Morrison for Matt Garza any day: Marlins were nuts not to pursue that, if such a deal had been on the table.

• Old Gator - Mar 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Garza was definitely “on the table” this offseason. Whether the Feesh discussed him with the Cubs or not, they had informed a number of other clubs in various trade negotiations that they wouldn’t include him as a bargaining chip. I am admittedly too lazy to spend a beautiful Saturday afternoon in Macondo searching back through the last five months of posts to recover the names of the swap candidates when I can spend it sipping piña coladas and re-reading Marilynne Robinson’s sublime novel Gilead by the pool, but I do recall that when Morrison was given as the reason the Feesh backed away from some of those trades I had to shake my head in disbelief.

When we wound up with Lamebraino instead of Garza, thereby easing Slobbering Ozzie’s priapism, I went out and treated myself to a swell Peruvian dinner of aji gallena, followed by corvino al lo macho and tacutacu with half an alfajore (normally off my radar) to numb the anguish. That’s how much of a budget already overextended by student loan repayments for my daughter I was willing to spend not to have to think about it.

• cur68 - Mar 3, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Gator, I’ve heard it said (can’t think where) that one can take the measure of a man by the quality and number of his detractors. You seem to have acquired quite the herd of them.

• Old Gator - Mar 3, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Cur: perhaps, but one determined Catahoula leopard cur could manage the lot of them for me and leave me free to continue reading Gilead by the poolside. I didn’t sic Cloverfield, my Catahoula, on that moron vivabear because she’s currently doing penance for snatching off the kitchen counter a platter of dosa I had been slaving over on a hot griddle all evening. Plus, asking her to manage a nitwit who apparently is so illiterate that he apparently doesn’t know what “packaged” (not to mention “cachet”) means would have been a colossal waste of her training. I think I’ll just let her save her energy for bore…oops, I mean boar… hunting and driving the cows back to the barn tonight.

• vivabear - Mar 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Gator – if you’re going to use the term “packaged” you may want to at least expand a little as to what that package would have been. You really suck at all types of baseball analysis – the fact you bury it within your inane ramblings doesn’t make it any more logical. A trade centered around Garza and Morrison just would never happen.

• Old Gator - Mar 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM

How do you “center around” something, speaking of oxymorons – or, in your case, just plain morons? Thanks for confirming my operating assumption about your semi-literacy.

• vivabear - Mar 4, 2012 at 3:58 PM

“How do you “center around” something”

Pretty simple. A trade involving Garza for Morrison, with other players involved – would have those two being the two central pieces of the deal. Thus, being the central figures – the deal is based around them, with the other less important players being added in.

• vivabear - Mar 3, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Gator – in one sentence you point out how much of a flawed ballplayer Morrison is. Another, you wish he would have been traded for Garza or a third baseman. You’re really contradicting yourself now. Morrison would be best served at 1st base…so if they cubs had wanted him, they would have been acquiring a 1st baseman. But they got Rizzo with higher upside for Cashner – who has much less value than Garza. There’s just no way the cubs make that deal (Garza for Morrison), ever. I’d like to see you quite pretending they would.

• Old Gator - Mar 3, 2012 at 7:39 PM

In all cases, I pointed out that as long as general managers around the league thought so highly of Morrison, the Feesh ought to have traded him – based on my assumption that he is ridiculously overrated by both the Feesh and those GMs who wanted him, about which I also have been quite clear. There’s no contradiction in any of that. I would diagnose your inclination to see things that aren’t there or miss things that are in technical terms but, given the obdurate (if ineffectual, not much less juvenile) malice behind it, merely pointing out that you’re an idiot is probably sufficient explanation. If you can’t read what’s right in front of your nose, Pinocchio, maybe you ought to ask Giappetto to whittle it down for you, or maybe have your eyes examined.

I’ve also been quite clear that the Feesh should have packaged Morrison in a trade to fill any of several holes the Feesh still have; that, by the way, wasn’t my idea since that is precisely what a number of GMs asked them to do. Nowhere have I suggested he could have been traded straight up for any of the quality players the Feesh were seeking, and I wish you would quit constructing these straw men out of what I didn’t actually say. You’re boring me with them.

• vivabear - Mar 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Gator – so….who are these GMs that think so highly of Morrison? Just stating something doesn’t make it fact. The Marlins are short on impact prospects, they would have to clean out their system to get anyone in a trade that will fill holes they have (in a way that nets them an improved ball club). By trading Morrison they would just open up another hole in LF.

• Old Gator - Mar 4, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzz……snore….

• Old Gator - Mar 4, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Dog woke me up.

Okay, let’s see, who were the GMs: Billy Beane, for one: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/logan-morrison/

Now if you scroll further down, you’ll come across this, from Mark Polishuk back on December 9th:

“Logan Morrison is “drawing more trade interest” than any other Miami player, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). Still, it is “highly, highly unlikely” Morrison is sent elsewhere.”

About ten different articles Googled up in response to my query but if you think I’m going to waste any more time on a dumb schmuck like you, forget it. Go on making a fool of yourself on your own time. You don’t need any more help from me.

• vivabear - Mar 4, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Gator – no matter how many times you talk in circles, you continue to sound like you have no concept of the game of baseball, it’s players, it’s managers or it’s front office executives and how they do business. Just b/c Billy Beane is willing to listen to offers, doesn’t mean he thinks highly of the players being pitched to him. Him not dealing Gio Gonzalez to Miami pretty obviously conveys how much he thinks of Morrison and the rest of Miami’s farm system. Morrison was drawing interest mainly b/c he makes little money, was/is in a pissing match with Marlins management and has shown some indication he could develop some decent on base skills. But he’s not highly valued, so in no way is he bringing a significant piece like Garza back, unless (as I posted before) the Marlins were willing to unload their already depleted farm system.

• Old Gator - Mar 4, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Read the articles I linked again. Or try to – it’s clearly a struggle for you. Beane not trading Gio to the Marlins was a function of the Marlins’ refusal to include Morrison in the package, imbecile. Can’t you even understand what’s right in front of you? These sportswriters aren’t Proust, Joyce or Faulkner. These are simple sentences. Go back to junior high school and learn how to read, and stop wasting everybody’s time.

Incidentally, illiterate one, the singular possessive “its” has no apostrophe.

• vivabear - Mar 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Thanks for the grammar lesson dipshit. While you at it, look up the definition of illiterate. The article you link to states the Marlins wouldn’t give up either Morrison or Stanton for Gio Gonzalez…that in no way means Billy Beane thought highly of Morrison. It’s just not there, no matter how far you want to reach.

5. jason1214 - Mar 3, 2012 at 1:01 AM

All I have to say is…”Who??”

6. xmatt0926x - Mar 3, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Logan Morrison and this guy aren’t similar at all. One tweets because he is a shallow, attention-seeking, attention whore. The other guy is just venting over some criticism.

7. chiadam - Mar 3, 2012 at 10:17 AM

This moron better save that backup salary he’s big-timing us regular Joes with. He’ll be playing in Mexico with Jose Canseco in a couple years. I prefer to at least be ridiculed by a moron that athlete that:
    1. matters;
    2. I’ve heard of.

8. stex52 - Mar 3, 2012 at 12:05 PM

He’d better back up that kind of talk with some serious OPS or he is going to get no end of fan abuse. I think a lot of these guys forget that they are in the entertainment industry.

• Old Gator - Mar 3, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Petersen was fine last season – an overripe Triple A habitue using the team’s implosion to claw his way into the lineup from time to time and actually doing pretty well, all things considered. In the occasional interviews with him that I heard on local spawrts tawrk raydeeo, he sounded serious, focused and enthusiastic. Then, somehow, he hooked up with Tweeter – that ridiculous hot tub photo from a few weeks back still bubbles up into consciousness like a methane fart from a pond bottom every so often – and seems to have fallen under his nefarious spell, and now he sounds like a putz. I hope for the kid’s sake that he continues to develop as a player, so that when Slobbering Ozzie and Tweeter collide like a pair of milk trains on the same track, Petersen’s ready to fill in in left field.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4995)