Former Yankees prospect Brien Taylor arrested for cocaine trafficking

Mar 2, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT

Brien Taylor mugshot

Baseball fans who walked the Earth in awareness in 1991 know who Brien Taylor is.  The number one overall pick of the draft, taken by the New York Yankees, and expected to be anchoring their rotation within a year or two.

As most folks know, his career flamed out not long after he severely injured his shoulder in an offseason fight.  Since then he’s meandered through life, worked odd jobs and has occasionally popped up in the news due to various legal troubles.

Now he has a far bigger set of legal troubles than he has ever faced.  This, via Deadspin, from the JD News in Jacksonville, North Carolina:

Taylor is charged with two counts each of trafficking in cocaine by possession, trafficking in cocaine by sell, trafficking in cocaine by deliver, trafficking in cocaine by manufacture, trafficking in cocaine by transport, and felony maintaining a vehicle.

He is also charged with one count each of possession with intent to manufacture, sell and deliver cocaine and sell and deliver cocaine.

Not cool.

1. whatthehellisansky - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Wow scary how far you can fall just by making one bad decision (throwing a punch)..

• troy10 - Mar 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM

sad thing is.. he didn’t have to fall that far. Ok.. we’ve all gotten into fights in our late teen/early twenties… I get that.. and it was unfortunate for him he got injured. But.. that ONE mistake about getting into a fight did not have to result in drugs. There are plenty of guys who dropped out of baseball (either injuries or lack of talent) that went on to lead productive, normal lives, with normal jobs.

I guess what I’m saying is that one fight didn’t have to lead a life of legal troubles and drugs.

2. rip4gehrig - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM

what a waste of talent in 1991 and now in 2012 just a waste of oxygen.

3. stackers1 - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:28 PM

He makes Gooden & Strawberry look like alter boys. Yeesh!

• glennthecarp - Mar 4, 2012 at 3:05 AM

what are you talking about!!??

4. deathmonkey41 - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Good for him- he’s moving up in the world!

5. El Bravo - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:38 PM

This is playing on my Pandora at the moment…how à propos

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Although we disagree on a regular basis…I had to give you your due here Bravo.
      Great tune. I cranked it up to the point of everyone in the office also getting their “groove on.”
      Not sure what the thumbs downs are all about. You got a thumbs up from me.

• El Bravo - Mar 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I’m not sure why so many people hate good music either. It even has a positive message and everything. Oh well, c’est la vie.

• frankvzappa - Mar 2, 2012 at 9:27 PM

That was godawful. This is what good music actually sounds like, just for the reference of anybody who may be confused by your applying the phrase “good music” to that awful noise you posted.

• forsch31 - Mar 3, 2012 at 11:48 AM

That’s called reggae, as somebody with a handle with Frank Zappa’s name should know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj5fQpuxkPI

• frankvzappa - Mar 3, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I didn’t ask what it was. I hung around enough trustafarians in college to know what reggae sounds like and how boring it is. These days I only listen to backwards reggae.

6. Detroit Michael - Mar 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Taylor aged worse than Albert Belle has.

• gatherspeed - Mar 2, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Wow. I remember seeing him pitch at Albany-Colonie (the Yanks AA team at the time). He was athletic and fit.

He looks terrible now. Not how I remember him.

7. jwbiii - Mar 2, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Here’s some background, if you’re interested.

8. randygnyc - Mar 2, 2012 at 2:10 PM

If I remember correctly, he was in a bar, underaged, in the company of his older brother at the time of his brawl. He was a BIG deal when he signed (I think he was the first high schooler signing of a million dollars). He was targeted in the bar, but shouldn’t have even been there.

• djpostl - Mar 2, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Mariano Rivera said before Banuelos showed up, Taylor was the best young pitcher he had ever seen. Damn shame his life took such a wrong turn.

9. jwbiii - Mar 2, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Background, if you’re interested

10. bigharold - Mar 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM

“.. and felony maintaining a vehicle.”

How bad do you have to screw up an oil change or flat tire fr it to be a felony?

• deathmonkey41 - Mar 2, 2012 at 2:38 PM

If that were true, the amount of women prisoners would skyrocket! Including my girlfriend.

• jwbiii - Mar 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM

If calling a ’91 Ford 2 door coupe a “Mustang” isn’t a felony, perhaps it should be.

11. jwbiii - Mar 2, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Here’s some background information. Scroll down to the “Tracking Down Brien Taylor” link. HBT isn’t letting me post the link directly.

The fight was in a trailer park, not a bar. Which od course doesn’t mean that alcohol wasn’t involved.

• jwbiii - Mar 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Sorry for the multiple posts. I guess the editors wanted to review my links to make sure I wasn’t linking to a Meet Hot Babes Who Want to Meet Basement Dwelling Baseball Nerds site. Which is ok with me.

12. barrywhererufrom - Mar 2, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I am a huge Yankees fan. Remember when Taylor was drafted. Cant miss prospect..well he missed with his own judgement by getting into a fight that ruined his baseball career. That is one thing many of us got into fights. But this criminal act is inexcusable. No excuses for him and I hope if he did this crime that he goes to jail for a long time..

13. barrywhererufrom - Mar 2, 2012 at 2:20 PM

@jwbiii I remember when it happened and the story was reported that Taylor was in a bar fight..that story about the fight being in a trailer park is news to many us who remember Taylor

• jwbiii - Mar 2, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Hmm. Matt Bush, the 2004 #1 overall pick, got arrested in a bar fight the night he was drafted. He’s also done a Bad Thing or three since. He’s a relief pitcher now, and on Tampa Bay’s 40 man roster.

• djpostl - Mar 2, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Yeah but Bush didn’t destroy his shoulder in said bar fight.

• jwbiii - Mar 2, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Yeah, but there, but for the grace of God, goes Matt Bush.

14. swede700 - Mar 2, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I still have his drafted rookie card. :)

15. yepurwrong - Mar 2, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Damn it feels good to be a Gangsta

16. yardape74 - Mar 2, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Finally hit the big time. Congrats!!!!!

17. randygnyc - Mar 2, 2012 at 3:36 PM

He can still make a comeback, right?

• jwbiii - Mar 2, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I don’t see that he’s filed retirement papers. He’s got more than five years of MiLB service time, so, yeah, he’s a minor league free agent. At age 40.

18. unlost1 - Mar 2, 2012 at 5:28 PM

anybody pay hundreds of dollars for his rookie card? LOL

19. buffalomafia - Mar 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Send his fuckin ass to jail for good

20. realgone2 - Mar 2, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Loser. Revenge for making me buy all those packs of 92 topps to get his rookie card!!!

21. pisano - Mar 3, 2012 at 12:42 AM

As my pisan’s always say, “you made your bed, now lay in it”

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3533)