Mar 2, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Baseball fans who walked the Earth in awareness in 1991 know who Brien Taylor is. The number one overall pick of the draft, taken by the New York Yankees, and expected to be anchoring their rotation within a year or two.
As most folks know, his career flamed out not long after he severely injured his shoulder in an offseason fight. Since then he’s meandered through life, worked odd jobs and has occasionally popped up in the news due to various legal troubles.
Now he has a far bigger set of legal troubles than he has ever faced. This, via Deadspin, from the JD News in Jacksonville, North Carolina:
Taylor is charged with two counts each of trafficking in cocaine by possession, trafficking in cocaine by sell, trafficking in cocaine by deliver, trafficking in cocaine by manufacture, trafficking in cocaine by transport, and felony maintaining a vehicle.
He is also charged with one count each of possession with intent to manufacture, sell and deliver cocaine and sell and deliver cocaine.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 8
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)