UPDATE: A.J. Burnett will miss 8-10 weeks

Mar 2, 2012, 8:50 AM EST

A.J. Burnett

UPDATE: Oy, it’s now been confirmed that Burnett will miss 8-10 weeks.  Wowzers.

8:50 AM: The Pirates have yet to say how much time A.J. Burnett will miss in the wake of surgery-requiring broken orbital bone, but a couple of people with some level of insight into the matter have weighed in.  Of course they don’t agree.

An eye specialist told Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that Burnett would probably miss “two to four weeks.”   Meanwhile, Bob Klapisch of the Bergen Record — who broke his own orbital bone and had similar surgery a couple of years ago — said that it could be 6-8 weeks until he’s ready to go. Based on past tweets, I understand that Klapisch is quite physically active and plays baseball himself and stuff, so his opinion is pretty informed from at least a practical standpoint.

Who knows? I saw some people on Twitter saying “it’s just his eye, how can it affect his pitching all that much.”  Which, whatever. Pitching motions are violent and I can’t imagine it feels good to throw a baseball 90+ miles per hour when your face bones are being held together with zip ties.

Whatever the case, unusual injuries like this to non-baseball-handling or running parts tend to be the most unpredictable, so I’d believe anything about A.J.’s recovery schedule at this point.

1. gendisarray - Mar 2, 2012 at 9:17 AM

As a Yankee fan, I wish AJ Burnett well and hope he recovers quickly. He may not have had great seasons with the Yankees, but he always stood and held himself accountable – no running from the press after bad performances, no making a spectacle of himself complaining in the papers about being trashed by the fans. So I hope he does well in Pittsburgh.

2. nagrommit - Mar 2, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Man, did the Pirates not let a bar owner and his goat into PNC Park?

• illbringdabeers - Mar 2, 2012 at 9:48 AM

haha I was literally thinking something similar. They just can’t catch a break

3. sdelmonte - Mar 2, 2012 at 9:22 AM

As much as I hate the DH, what happened to AJ is the only real argument I have for not letting pitchers bat. Teams invest a lot in pitchers to pitch, and maybe it’s not the worst thing in the world to minimize extra risk. I still remember how rotten it was when David Cone broke his pinky squaring to bunt and missed a good chunk of the season in his Mets days.

• nategearhart - Mar 2, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Naw, this just argues that bunting is stupid.

• sdelmonte - Mar 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Fair point. I like a good bunt, but I know that in the “don’t waste outs” era I am outvoted.

4. cur68 - Mar 2, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Poor ole AJ. I don’t know about the bones, but this will do nothing for his plate discipline. I wish him a speedy recovery and no lasting ill effects but I’m worried that “Automaticout Burnett, comin’ to the plate” will be the PA announcement

• aceshigh11 - Mar 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Well, he IS a pitcher. How much production can expect of him offensively either way?

• cur68 - Mar 2, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Your point, sir, but no a detraction from my original thesis at all. See, if I was AJ, I’d be pretty bummed right about now. He’s gotta be having confidence issues. Takin’ a ball to the kisser isn’t going to help. If Burnett was a douche I’d not care as much. But he isn’t. In fact, he’s always come across as a nice enough guy. Given all his struggles, I’d kind of like to see thing work out for him & for the Pirates.

• aceshigh11 - Mar 2, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Same here. He’s had some decent years, specifically when he went 18-10 a few years back. Hes still got some good baseball left in him, I think.

5. sportsdrenched.com - Mar 2, 2012 at 9:49 AM

More ancidotal opinions, but I was not allowed to play football for 12 weeks after I had my surgery. But playing baseball and crashing into another football player are different things. So 8 weeks seems about right.

A word of advice, If you’re climbing a 14er in Colorado, stay on the freaking trail especially on the way down.

6. buffalomafia - Mar 2, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Stupid Pirates! I want them to be good again! But that cheap ass owner won’t spend the money to get the right players to compete again!

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 2, 2012 at 11:36 AM

UNRELATED.

• bigharold - Mar 2, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Also, I think Pirate fans will be surprised with Burnett.

Whatever his performance issues were in NY health really wasn’t the problem. It seemed more mental. I think a change of pace, away from the pressure of NY he be a lot better than people might think.

As was pointed out, .. he’s a good teammate, clubhouse guy and he did bring pie to New York so what’s not to like?

7. florida76 - Mar 2, 2012 at 10:35 AM

In comparison with other pro athletes, the 2-4 weeks is a reasonable estimation. Could have easily been far, far worse.

8. koufaxmitzvah - Mar 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Those years with the DH made AJ soft.

9. nategearhart - Mar 2, 2012 at 11:24 AM

“I saw some people on Twitter saying “it’s just his eye, how can it affect his pitching all that much.””

SERIOUSLY?! Would these people be willing to stand in the batter’s box against a pitcher with a friggin’ broken eye? Jackasses, the lot of them.

10. shanabartels - Mar 2, 2012 at 11:53 AM

People ask how much the eye affects pitching? Jeez, AJ has enough trouble finding the plate on a good day. In all seriousness though, I feel bad that this happened and wish him a speedy recovery.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3297)
  2. J. Kang (3123)
  3. C. McGehee (2839)
  4. J. Upton (2821)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2814)
  1. D. Ross (2621)