Mar 2, 2012, 8:50 AM EDT
UPDATE: Oy, it’s now been confirmed that Burnett will miss 8-10 weeks. Wowzers.
8:50 AM: The Pirates have yet to say how much time A.J. Burnett will miss in the wake of surgery-requiring broken orbital bone, but a couple of people with some level of insight into the matter have weighed in. Of course they don’t agree.
An eye specialist told Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that Burnett would probably miss “two to four weeks.” Meanwhile, Bob Klapisch of the Bergen Record — who broke his own orbital bone and had similar surgery a couple of years ago — said that it could be 6-8 weeks until he’s ready to go. Based on past tweets, I understand that Klapisch is quite physically active and plays baseball himself and stuff, so his opinion is pretty informed from at least a practical standpoint.
Who knows? I saw some people on Twitter saying “it’s just his eye, how can it affect his pitching all that much.” Which, whatever. Pitching motions are violent and I can’t imagine it feels good to throw a baseball 90+ miles per hour when your face bones are being held together with zip ties.
Whatever the case, unusual injuries like this to non-baseball-handling or running parts tend to be the most unpredictable, so I’d believe anything about A.J.’s recovery schedule at this point.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)