Mar 2, 2012, 8:50 AM EST
UPDATE: Oy, it’s now been confirmed that Burnett will miss 8-10 weeks. Wowzers.
8:50 AM: The Pirates have yet to say how much time A.J. Burnett will miss in the wake of surgery-requiring broken orbital bone, but a couple of people with some level of insight into the matter have weighed in. Of course they don’t agree.
An eye specialist told Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that Burnett would probably miss “two to four weeks.” Meanwhile, Bob Klapisch of the Bergen Record — who broke his own orbital bone and had similar surgery a couple of years ago — said that it could be 6-8 weeks until he’s ready to go. Based on past tweets, I understand that Klapisch is quite physically active and plays baseball himself and stuff, so his opinion is pretty informed from at least a practical standpoint.
Who knows? I saw some people on Twitter saying “it’s just his eye, how can it affect his pitching all that much.” Which, whatever. Pitching motions are violent and I can’t imagine it feels good to throw a baseball 90+ miles per hour when your face bones are being held together with zip ties.
Whatever the case, unusual injuries like this to non-baseball-handling or running parts tend to be the most unpredictable, so I’d believe anything about A.J.’s recovery schedule at this point.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 43
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 84
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)