Mar 2, 2012, 6:14 PM EDT
The Phillies played Florida St. on Wednesday and there were three more exhibitions between Florida-based MLB teams and colleges today, but the spring season officially started later in the afternoon, with the Mariners and A’s squaring off in the Cactus League opener.
As one would assume with such noted powerhouses playing each other, there were six homers in the game, five delivered by the mighty Mariners on their way to an 8-5 victory. Michael Saunders, who could be the early season replacement for Franklin Gutierrez in center, started it off with a two-run shot off Graham Godfrey in the second. Carlos Peguero, Luis Rodriguez, Jesus Montero and Johermyn Chavez also left the yard in the game.
Utilityman Eric Sogard hit the lone homer for the A’s.
Montero was involved in a scary moment a half-inning after hitting his homer, as he went to the ground after taking a foul tip to the face. He was down for a couple of minutes and he left the game, but reports indicated that he was fine afterwards.
Montero, a catcher in the Yankees’ minor league system, will be the Mariners’ primary DH this season, but he could catch once or twice a week, too.
Also of note from the game was that Manny Ramirez hit cleanup for the A’s and went 0-for-2. And old friend Oliver Perez, launching a long shot bid to make the Mariners as a reliever, allowed one hit in a scoreless fourth inning.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)