Quote of the Day: Ivan Nova feels closer to Mark Teixeira

Mar 2, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

Yankees pitcher Nova reacts after getting the Tigers out to end fifth inning of Game 1 of their MLB American League Division Series baseball playoffs at Yankee Stadium in New York Reuters

Out of context, this quote is tender and sweet. Like, I picture Teixeira riding on the handlebars of Nova’s bike and then them having a picnic:

“I saw Teix today in a way that I could have never imagined,” pitcher Ivan Nova said. “You should have seen him. I couldn’t stop smiling. It made me think about how we come from so many different places to become teammates and friends.”

Turns out he’s merely referring to the Yankees’ team building exercise yesterday in which Joe Girardi took them all to an improv/comedy club where they did skits and improv activities.  No word on whether or not they did “ASSSSCAT.”

Each year Girardi does this. A couple of years ago it was paintball. Next year they’ll be doing something slightly different: a hunting trip.  Where they will hunt the most dangerous prey of them all … man.

1. chiadam - Mar 2, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Wow. When will they be going to Home Depot to pick out curtains for the nursery?

2. mcsnide - Mar 2, 2012 at 3:09 PM

And that right there is why I keep coming back through all the BSOHL posts and the Ryan Braun rants – the semi-annual references to The Most Dangerous Game. Never change, Calcaterra.

• firstandonlywarning - Mar 2, 2012 at 3:24 PM

“He has the secret sauce, and I’m loving his flavor.” Roger Craig on Jim Harbaugh, early favorite for the sporting worlds QOTY

3. firstandonlywarning - Mar 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Not bad but still does not trump Roger Craig’s quote of the year in reference to 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh

“He has the secret sauce, and I’m loving his flavor.”

• El Bravo - Mar 2, 2012 at 3:27 PM

As a man who appreciates the niners, how awesome.

4. humanexcrement - Mar 2, 2012 at 3:39 PM

The first thing to come into my head when I read this was that old Taco Bell “crunchy, soft” commercial that had Shaq and hakeem Olajuwon riding a bicycle built for two and having a picnic together and all that. I laughed my ass off at that.

Joe Torre was a genius at getting big egos to coexist, Girardi seems like a genius in getting guys to actually get along with each other and like each other. Then again, it’s probably easier to have true team chemistry with guys like Nick Swisher, Curtis Granderson, Russell Martin, Tex and CC than some of the guys Joe Torre had, especially in the mid-2000s.

5. randygnyc - Mar 2, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Not to mention their annual “Ginger” hunt.

6. aaronmoreno - Mar 2, 2012 at 3:43 PM

How do you pronounce “Teix?”

• Alex K - Mar 2, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I always just assumed it was said the same way as “Tex”

• Kevin S. - Mar 2, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I’ve heard “Tex” and “Tesh” used.

7. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 2, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I wanna know what improv activities they did.

• ptfu - Mar 2, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I’m sure they just made something up.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Okay Derek, pretend you’re Jacoby Ellsbury…

• yankeesfanlen - Mar 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

The way I heard it, Tex’s musical stylings of “Billie Jean” brought down the house.

• djpostl - Mar 2, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Well I’m quite sure he wasn’t asking their starters to do their best John Lackey/Dice-K/Any Boston starter in the month of September 2001 impression…

8. drewzducks - Mar 2, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I think he means the same way the stalker looked longingly into the eyes of Assman, I mean Cashman.

9. jerze2387 - Mar 3, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Hunting Man certainly explains how they plan to lower payroll next season…

10. 18thstreet - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I’m surprised that he pronounces the I in “Tiex.” I thought the agreed-upon nickname was “Tex.”

Must be a mark of their friendship.

1. M. Morse (2200)