Mar 2, 2012, 10:30 PM EST
According to the Associated Press, Royals right-hander Jeremy Jeffress was arrested last month in Arizona following a domestic dispute with his girlfriend. Jeffress, who was acquired from the Brewers last offseason as part of the Zack Greinke trade, was booked for assault, criminal damage and disorderly conduct.
The first two charges were dismissed, but Jeffress was sentenced to serve 20 hours of community service for the disorderly conduct charge and required to attend a domestic violence counseling class.
Jeffress apologized for his actions via a statement from the Royals after the arrest was made public earlier today:
“There was an argument between myself and my girlfriend and I lost my temper, but I never put my hands on her.”
“There are consequences in what you do or say. I’ve disappointed my family and the name on the back of my jersey. I just want to make it clear this is not me.”
It’s not clear if he’ll face any discipline from the Royals, but general manager Dayton Moore said, “we stand behind Jeremy at this point based on the information we have received.” On an unrelated note, Jeffress was suspended twice during his time as a Brewers’ farmhand for testing positive for marijuana.
Jeffress, 24, made the Royals’ Opening Day roster last year, but was sent down to the minors in May after posting a 4.70 ERA and 13/11 K/BB ratio over 15 1/3 innings. The hard-throwing reliever wasn’t any better following his demotion, compiling a 5.50 ERA and 44/40 K/BB ratio over 55 2/3 innings between Double-A Northwest Arkansas and Triple-A Omaha. The Royals have plenty of quality bullpen depth right now, so it’s probably best that Jeffress continues to work on his command in the minors.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 12
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 57
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)