Royals’ reliever Jeremy Jeffress was arrested in January following a domestic dispute

Mar 2, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT

Jeremy Jeffress Getty Getty Images

According to the Associated Press, Royals right-hander Jeremy Jeffress was arrested last month in Arizona following a domestic dispute with his girlfriend. Jeffress, who was acquired from the Brewers last offseason as part of the Zack Greinke trade, was booked for assault, criminal damage and disorderly conduct.

The first two charges were dismissed, but Jeffress was sentenced to serve 20 hours of community service for the disorderly conduct charge and required to attend a domestic violence counseling class.

Jeffress apologized for his actions via a statement from the Royals after the arrest was made public earlier today:

“There was an argument between myself and my girlfriend and I lost my temper, but I never put my hands on her.”

“There are consequences in what you do or say. I’ve disappointed my family and the name on the back of my jersey. I just want to make it clear this is not me.”

It’s not clear if he’ll face any discipline from the Royals, but general manager Dayton Moore said, “we stand behind Jeremy at this point based on the information we have received.” On an unrelated note, Jeffress was suspended twice during his time as a Brewers’ farmhand for testing positive for marijuana.

Jeffress, 24, made the Royals’ Opening Day roster last year, but was sent down to the minors in May after posting a 4.70 ERA and 13/11 K/BB ratio over 15 1/3 innings. The hard-throwing reliever wasn’t any better following his demotion, compiling a 5.50 ERA and 44/40 K/BB ratio over 55 2/3 innings between Double-A Northwest Arkansas and Triple-A Omaha. The Royals have plenty of quality bullpen depth right now, so it’s probably best that Jeffress continues to work on his command in the minors.

1. shaggytoodle - Mar 2, 2012 at 10:46 PM

He probably wouldn’t have lost his temper if he could have kept smoking.

2. yankeesgameday - Mar 2, 2012 at 10:54 PM

None of our business

• JBerardi - Mar 3, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Right. It’s not for us to worry that a disturbingly large percentage of professional athletes have a tendency to use their girlfriends and wives as punching bags from time to time. We’ve got more important things to think about, like Ryan Braun’s tainted sample. Or perhaps how tainted Jeff Bagwell might have been fifteen f’n years ago. Those are truly the moral questions of our time.

• The Baseball Idiot - Mar 3, 2012 at 2:18 PM

No more disturbing than the large percentage of lawyers, doctors, police officers, teachers, janitors, garbage men, bartenders, ………..

Calling out ballplayers for a societal problem while ignoring it in your own back yard is kind of pathetic.

But I have a great idea for Jeffries. If he ever finds himself in this kind of sitution again, all he has to do is head to the nearest bar, ignore the advice of friends, get drunk, let strange women fondle him, and then claim it wasn’t really his fault he was abusive, because he has a ‘problem’. Everyone will automatically forgive him.

Because aberrant behavior that makes you a douchebag is okay as long as you have a sad backstory.

3. Old Gator - Mar 3, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Well, DJ, you’re only a month and change late with the news. By Macondo standards, you would have beaten the Herald by about three days.

Three legends off to Cooperstown