Shane Victorino softens stance on demand for five-year deal

Mar 2, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies  v Los Angeles Dodgers Getty Images

One day after saying he wanted a five-year contract extension from the Phillies free agent-to-be Shane Victorino backtracked a bit, telling Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer: “I made it seem like I want a five-year deal, but I’d love to stay.”

Most of all, Victorino said, he’d like to get a new contract figured out “now rather than later” and “that’s what the basis of this whole thing is.”

Jimmy Rollins talked about wanting a five-year deal from the Phillies before eventually accepting a three-year, $38 million offer and based on Victorino’s comments it wouldn’t be shocking to see him do something similar. Of course, Victorino is two years younger than Rollins and has also gotten better with age, whereas the shortstop peaked in his late-20s like most players.

Victorino revealed that his agent has yet to engage in formal negotiations with the Phillies, but “is going to reach out to them” soon in the hopes of getting something done before Opening Day. He noted Torii Hunter and Aaron Rowand as comparable center fielders who signed five-year deals, with Hunter getting $90 million from the Angels and Rowand getting $60 million from the Giants.

Among all center fielders during the past three seasons Victorino ranked sixth in OPS (right behind Hunter) and fifth in Wins Above Replacement (right ahead of Hunter). Because the Phillies have so many other star players Victorino has probably been somewhat underrated, although that doesn’t necessarily mean signing him to a five-year deal that runs through his age-36 season would be a smart move.

1. CliffC - Mar 2, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Does this dude have his period? Jesus, he has more mood changes than a chick.

• kiwicricket - Mar 2, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Classy.

• deathmonkey41 - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Maybe he felt better after having some manicotti and canolis.

2. spindervish - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:34 PM

In the previous thread, someone called Victorino “easily” a top-5 CF. I found this pretty hard to believe. So I looked at all 30 projected starting CFs. Conclusion: there are a whole lot of dudes starting at this “glamor” position who I would not want on my squad.

Here’s the top 8 I came up with, in no real order. I think I’d probably put Victorino either 4th or 5th.

M Kemp
    C Young
    A McCutchen
    S Victorino
    J Ellsbury
    C Granderson
    B Upton
    A Jones

• paperlions - Mar 2, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Adam Jones? There are a bunch of guys I’d take before him…he’s failed to progress at all in the field or at the plate, horrible OBP….I’d even take Trout for this year over Jones.

• spindervish - Mar 2, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Hmmm…well first of all, I don’t think Trout counts. Bourjos is the CF in Anaheim. Secondly, I agree Jones hasn’t progressed much, but where he’s at is a pretty solid player I think, though I do cringe at the OBP.

Mostly though, I think the fact that guys like Jones and Upton made my list speaks more to the weakness of the position right now across baseball than their strengths as players. The reason I went with a top 8 is that there was hardly anyone else I like much at all. Bourn maybe. Who do you like better?

• paperlions - Mar 2, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Very true. Not much depth at all at CF….lot of athletic guys that, for one reason or another, just haven’t turned into good baseball players.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win