Mar 2, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
Bryan Stow and his family have sued the Dodgers over the attack that severely injured him last Opening Day. The Dodgers have tried to have the lawsuit thrown out in bankruptcy court, because it’s way easier to dispose of such claims in bankruptcy court. Last week Stow’s attorneys filed a motion ripping the Dodgers a new one for trying to prevent Stow from getting his day in court.
Now the Dodgers have offered a compromise in which Stow could advance his claims in regular Superior Court and, if they can make it that far, get in front of a jury:
In Thursday’s filing, the Dodgers offered to defer to the Superior Court upon three conditions — that Stow does not oppose the team’s emergence from bankruptcy; that Stow waits until that emergence to proceed with the civil suit; and that Stow seeks to recover damages only from the Dodgers’ insurance carriers and not from the defendants themselves. Dodgers owner Frank McCourt is one of the defendants in the civil suit.
It was probably going to be a longshot to get a court to find McCourt and other individual defendants liable anyway. So if this allows the suit to advance, it makes a lot of sense.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 21
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)