The fish — the real fish — have arrived at the Marlins new ballpark

Mar 2, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT

Via our friend Rick Chandler over at Off The Bench, we learn that the second weirdest element of the Marlins’ new ballpark has arrived.  The live fish in the fish tanks behind home plate:

Of course the weirdest thing in the place is that robotic sculpture home run thing.  But I have this feeling that’s going to grow on us all over time.  Honestly, I do.  I don’t know why.  Just strikes me like an odd new building or some other new fashion that is inevitably met with derision at first but which is later seen as something kinda neat and original.

Yes, I realize that I am likely in the tiniest minority here, but I’m used to that so whatever.

1. bjavie - Mar 2, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Third weirdest…Ozzie arrived a while back.

2. ezthinking - Mar 2, 2012 at 5:48 PM

What’s the plan when one of those things breaks? Sushi?

• badmamainphilliesjamas - Mar 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM

…or when PETA shows up to liberate the fish?

• Old Gator - Mar 2, 2012 at 6:42 PM

…and spread Rage Virus?

3. dowhatifeellike - Mar 2, 2012 at 5:52 PM

They’re probably acryllic so they won’t shatter, but they’ll get dinged and scuffed and stained and generally look terrible pretty soon.

4. ptfu - Mar 2, 2012 at 5:52 PM

You know how you’re not supposed to tap on aquarium glass because fish don’t like it? What happens when someone fouls a fastball straight back? Never mind the glass, I hope the fish are impact-resistant.

• Old Gator - Mar 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM

They’re not. They’ll stress out and float belly up. It’ll be like a real-life Gary Larson cartoon. Feesh fans will be encouraged to submit captions.

But of course, I’ll be submitting them gratuitously…and often.

Hah! I heard that cheer go up….

5. lyon810 - Mar 2, 2012 at 6:07 PM

So tacky

• Ben - Mar 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM

That’s Miami for ya

6. cur68 - Mar 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM

It is my sincere hope they hire a Deuce Bigalow-esq tank cleaner. That would make total sense given some of their other moves.

• ptfu - Mar 2, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Ahh, so THAT’s why the Marlins are interested in Vlad.

• Old Gator - Mar 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Tepes?

• cur68 - Mar 2, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Now there’s a good nickname for someone: The Impaler. How’d an MLB player go about earning such a thing and stay out of jail?

• Walk - Mar 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM

or why they wanted ozzie. Embarass the team and he literally get to manage the fish the next game.

7. Jeremy Fox - Mar 2, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Yes, it’s true that odd new buildings often are met with derision, and that some of those odd new buildings go on to become beloved icons. But most odd new buildings that are met with derision continue to be met with derision as long as they exist, and are quickly forgotten afterwards.

• Old Gator - Mar 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Like the Freedom Tower, for example? Or that offkilter Publix on South Beach?

No matter. As soon as their backs are turned, I’m going to slip some small northern snakeheads into those tanks. I can’t wait to see the looks on their faces when there’s nothing but half-fishes swimming around upside-down at the surface. My recommendation would be to put some baby alligators or maybe alligator snapping turtles in the tanks too – I think kids would get a kick out of watching them wiggling their little tongues at the bottom.

Or maybe some water moccasins, you know? Something with real character.

• Ben - Mar 2, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Saltwater tank dude.

• Old Gator - Mar 3, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Baby bull sharks then. They can live in both. Or lionfish; we’ve got plenty of them out on the artificial reefs these days. Or maybe crocodiles? Coelocanths? With a nice layer of Bathybius haeckeri at the bottom when Scrooge McLoria nickels and dimes on changing the filter elements often enough?

8. fellspointbird - Mar 2, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I think that I may have to make a trip down to Miami at some point this summer, as this looks too crazy to pass up.

9. randygnyc - Mar 2, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Now there’s more color in the stands at marlins games than in Fenway.

• Old Gator - Mar 3, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Clown feesh. To go with a clown manager. Maybe they should dress Slobbering Ozzie in an alternating orange and white banded uniform?

10. randygnyc - Mar 2, 2012 at 6:57 PM

PETA? Gov’t report just released shows they kill over 90% of all the stray animals they take in. They are just a front to make money.

• CJ - Mar 2, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Sounds about right…I’m a founding member. Though my organization stands for People Eating Tasty Animals.

• Old Gator - Mar 3, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Soylent green is dogs!

11. JB (the original) - Mar 2, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Don’t forget the sea snails!

12. illad3lph1a - Mar 2, 2012 at 8:14 PM

What if a girl with a skirt sits in the first row??

• cur68 - Mar 2, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Then we all need to hope she’s more than 21, in great shape, and has a liberal attitude to underwear. However, given they Feesh’s attendance record, it’ll probably be empty.

13. AlohaMrHand - Mar 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM

When do they install the disco floor?

14. chiadam - Mar 3, 2012 at 12:03 PM

In keeping with the Miami theme, the statue of LeBron passing up a game-winning shot goes in next week.

• AlohaMrHand - Mar 3, 2012 at 12:45 PM

any word on Ray Finkle throwing out the first pitch?Make sure the balls seems out.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5055)