Video of the Day: Steve Carlton was born to throw a slider

Mar 2, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT

Bill Baer of Crashburn Alley passes along this great old video about Steve Carlton’s amazing slider:

“I hold it like this and I throw the s*** out of it.”

1. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:10 PM

This is really great, thanks for sharing it Aaron.

2. kiwicricket - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:10 PM

“His slider broke so quickly, and so late, that often the hitter would think it’s a strike. And it wasn’t.”

Vintage.

3. steveohho - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Lefty also had a devastating pick off move that came out of his delivery motion. Nice video!

4. El Bravo - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I have a baseball semi

5. cur68 - Mar 2, 2012 at 1:12 PM

“I hold it like this and throw the sh!t out of it.” Quote of the day, ¿Si, or no?

• paulsdamnblog - Mar 2, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Vuke was a real gem. The Phillies and Baseball lost something special there.

6. chew1985 - Mar 2, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Hard to believe he LOST 244 games. Chuck Tanner got into Lefty’s head toward the end of his time in Philly. He started nine righthanded hitters-including the pitcher. It was a good mental trick to keep him from getting comfortable on the mound.

But he was still so fun to watch. I have a few old audio cassette tapes of “The Star of the Game Show” that Richie or Harry would host and so many times it was Carlton on the mound and Mike Schmidt with the game winner at the plate, not to mention a great fielding play. Glad I kept them

Cole Hamels reminds me of the young Steve Carlton–when he was with St. Louis. Ah, memories.

• vanmorrissey - Mar 2, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Richie Ashburn, one of the best guys in the game. Loved ol’ whitey.

7. stlouis1baseball - Mar 2, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Outstanding Gleeman. Carlton brings back memories.
    To this day…my Father still bitches about Augie’s tight ass letting him get a way.
    Come on! Rick freaking Wise?

• deepstblu - Mar 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Phillies fans liked Wise but I think we knew Carlton was going to be an upgrade…we didn’t expect him to be that much of an upgrade though. When he had it going, he was just cosmic. And almost inevitably, if the Phillies had a lead late, it seemed that some poor rookie would get sent out to pinch-hit against that stuff. It was never pretty for the rookie. Welcome to the National League, kid!

8. chap6869 - Mar 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM

From 1970 through 1985 the best pitchers in the game. IMO, were Ryan with his fastball and Carlton with that devastating slider. I had the privilege to see them face each other at the Vet when I was younger and just to watch those two work was incredible. They both worked so fast, if you went for a beer, you ended up missing half the game!

9. havlicekstoletheball - Mar 2, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I swear, for fifteen years, every time a hitter took that slider, it was a strike. Every time a hitter swung at it, it was way off the plate.

It was sad to see him near the end of his career, when little banjo hitting shortstops were ripping shots in the gap against him. Five or six years earlier, they’d have been lucky to foul one off.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5168)