Mar 2, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Lynn Henning has a story up today about how hard it’s going to be for Jim Leyland to find someone to pencil into the DH slot every day this year without ruffling feathers.
One of the options that seems to not be on the table at the moment is just making Delmon Young the DH:
Young appeared to confirm as much Thursday. As he exited the clubhouse door, he was askef full-time DH work could be agreeable. He looked as if he had just been called by a telemarketer.
“I’ve never done it before,” he said. “I’ve heard it’s difficult. I’d prefer to play my position. I don’t know. We haven’t even played one game yet.”
Obviously it’s Leyland’s choice, not Young’s. And there’s some suggestion that there will be a bit of a rotation there, with Miguel Cabrera, Prince Fielder and Young, among others, all taking turns as the DH.
But man: it sometimes sounds like that ridiculous scenario Aaron articulated in January — a team with Fielder, Cabrera and Young on the roster and none of them DHing — is a possibility.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)