Mar 2, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Lynn Henning has a story up today about how hard it’s going to be for Jim Leyland to find someone to pencil into the DH slot every day this year without ruffling feathers.
One of the options that seems to not be on the table at the moment is just making Delmon Young the DH:
Young appeared to confirm as much Thursday. As he exited the clubhouse door, he was askef full-time DH work could be agreeable. He looked as if he had just been called by a telemarketer.
“I’ve never done it before,” he said. “I’ve heard it’s difficult. I’d prefer to play my position. I don’t know. We haven’t even played one game yet.”
Obviously it’s Leyland’s choice, not Young’s. And there’s some suggestion that there will be a bit of a rotation there, with Miguel Cabrera, Prince Fielder and Young, among others, all taking turns as the DH.
But man: it sometimes sounds like that ridiculous scenario Aaron articulated in January — a team with Fielder, Cabrera and Young on the roster and none of them DHing — is a possibility.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 56
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 1
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 131
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (131)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)