Mar 3, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
Carl Crawford was shut down and put on anti-inflammatory medication yesterday after suffering a setback with his surgically-repaired left wrist. The high-priced outfielder told Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald this morning that the setback was likely the result of pushing himself too soon, especially after participating in bunting drills.
“Bunting didn’t help it,” he said. “Pretty sure just what I’ve been doing over the course of the week, bunting and swinging and throwing and just doing all the activities probably didn’t make it no better. The bunting, that was the final thing that probably took it over the edge.”
Crawford took one-handed swings in the batting cage this morning and hopes to resume two-handed swings “pretty soon,” possibly within the next couple of days.
Crawford still hopes to be ready for Opening Day, but the expectation following surgery was that he would miss at least the first few weeks of the season. This setback, however minor, renders his goal even more unrealistic. Offseason acquisitions Ryan Sweeney and Cody Ross project to start in the corner outfield spots until he is ready to return.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)