Mar 3, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Carl Crawford was shut down and put on anti-inflammatory medication yesterday after suffering a setback with his surgically-repaired left wrist. The high-priced outfielder told Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald this morning that the setback was likely the result of pushing himself too soon, especially after participating in bunting drills.
“Bunting didn’t help it,” he said. “Pretty sure just what I’ve been doing over the course of the week, bunting and swinging and throwing and just doing all the activities probably didn’t make it no better. The bunting, that was the final thing that probably took it over the edge.”
Crawford took one-handed swings in the batting cage this morning and hopes to resume two-handed swings “pretty soon,” possibly within the next couple of days.
Crawford still hopes to be ready for Opening Day, but the expectation following surgery was that he would miss at least the first few weeks of the season. This setback, however minor, renders his goal even more unrealistic. Offseason acquisitions Ryan Sweeney and Cody Ross project to start in the corner outfield spots until he is ready to return.
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 54
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (103)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (95)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- Yankees School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4