Mar 3, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Carl Crawford was shut down and put on anti-inflammatory medication yesterday after suffering a setback with his surgically-repaired left wrist. The high-priced outfielder told Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald this morning that the setback was likely the result of pushing himself too soon, especially after participating in bunting drills.
“Bunting didn’t help it,” he said. “Pretty sure just what I’ve been doing over the course of the week, bunting and swinging and throwing and just doing all the activities probably didn’t make it no better. The bunting, that was the final thing that probably took it over the edge.”
Crawford took one-handed swings in the batting cage this morning and hopes to resume two-handed swings “pretty soon,” possibly within the next couple of days.
Crawford still hopes to be ready for Opening Day, but the expectation following surgery was that he would miss at least the first few weeks of the season. This setback, however minor, renders his goal even more unrealistic. Offseason acquisitions Ryan Sweeney and Cody Ross project to start in the corner outfield spots until he is ready to return.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 9
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 75
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)