Mar 3, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that left-hander Dan Runzler will leave Giants’ camp tomorrow to see Dr. James Andrews in Florida regarding a strained lat muscle in the back of his shoulder.
Runzler originally strained the lat in the final game of the regular season last year and aggravated the injury while throwing a bullpen session earlier this week. An MRI showed that his rotator cuff and labrum were intact and while surgery for the lat hasn’t been ruled out, Runzler said his visit to Andrews is more about establishing a timeline to resume throwing.
Runzler was expected to begin this season in the minor leagues after posting a 6.26 ERA and 26/15 K/BB ratio over 27 1/3 innings with the Giants last season. The 26-year-old was primarily used as a starting pitcher with Triple-A Fresno last year and the hard-throwing southpaw even made his first major league start last August, but his command issues (5.0 BB/9 in the minors, 5.4 BB/9 in the majors) will likely keep him in the bullpen for the long haul.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)