Mar 3, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that left-hander Dan Runzler will leave Giants’ camp tomorrow to see Dr. James Andrews in Florida regarding a strained lat muscle in the back of his shoulder.
Runzler originally strained the lat in the final game of the regular season last year and aggravated the injury while throwing a bullpen session earlier this week. An MRI showed that his rotator cuff and labrum were intact and while surgery for the lat hasn’t been ruled out, Runzler said his visit to Andrews is more about establishing a timeline to resume throwing.
Runzler was expected to begin this season in the minor leagues after posting a 6.26 ERA and 26/15 K/BB ratio over 27 1/3 innings with the Giants last season. The 26-year-old was primarily used as a starting pitcher with Triple-A Fresno last year and the hard-throwing southpaw even made his first major league start last August, but his command issues (5.0 BB/9 in the minors, 5.4 BB/9 in the majors) will likely keep him in the bullpen for the long haul.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)