Mar 3, 2012, 12:50 PM EST
Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that left-hander Dan Runzler will leave Giants’ camp tomorrow to see Dr. James Andrews in Florida regarding a strained lat muscle in the back of his shoulder.
Runzler originally strained the lat in the final game of the regular season last year and aggravated the injury while throwing a bullpen session earlier this week. An MRI showed that his rotator cuff and labrum were intact and while surgery for the lat hasn’t been ruled out, Runzler said his visit to Andrews is more about establishing a timeline to resume throwing.
Runzler was expected to begin this season in the minor leagues after posting a 6.26 ERA and 26/15 K/BB ratio over 27 1/3 innings with the Giants last season. The 26-year-old was primarily used as a starting pitcher with Triple-A Fresno last year and the hard-throwing southpaw even made his first major league start last August, but his command issues (5.0 BB/9 in the minors, 5.4 BB/9 in the majors) will likely keep him in the bullpen for the long haul.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)