Mar 3, 2012, 4:26 PM EDT
UPDATE: Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register reports that Williams was diagnosed with a mild strain of his left hamstring.
It’s not clear when he’ll resume throwing, but Angels manager Mike Scioscia told Mark Saxon of ESPNLosAngeles.com earlier today that Williams will still have plenty of time to get ready for the season, as the club won’t need a fifth starter for the first time until April 15 against the Yankees.
Friday, 9:30 PM: Jerome Williams enters spring training as the favorite for the Angels’ fifth starter job after posting a surprising 3.68 ERA and 28/15 K/BB ratio over 44 innings last season during his first stint in the big leagues since 2007. But his grip on an Opening Day roster spot may be in jeopardy after he strained his left hamstring during a defensive drill earlier today.
According to Mark DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, Williams will likely be sidelined for at least the next few days and is scheduled to be examined by team physician Dr. Lewis Yocum tomorrow.
The Angels can afford to take some chances with Jered Weaver, Dan Haren, C.J. Wilson and Ervin Santana leading their rotation, but Williams is no sure thing to replicate his small sample of success last year. The 30-year-old right-hander likely has a battle on his hands even if he’s healthy, but right-handers Garrett Richards and Trevor Bell and left-hander Brad Mills would move up on the depth chart if he needs to miss significant time.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)