Mar 3, 2012, 4:26 PM EDT
UPDATE: Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register reports that Williams was diagnosed with a mild strain of his left hamstring.
It’s not clear when he’ll resume throwing, but Angels manager Mike Scioscia told Mark Saxon of ESPNLosAngeles.com earlier today that Williams will still have plenty of time to get ready for the season, as the club won’t need a fifth starter for the first time until April 15 against the Yankees.
Friday, 9:30 PM: Jerome Williams enters spring training as the favorite for the Angels’ fifth starter job after posting a surprising 3.68 ERA and 28/15 K/BB ratio over 44 innings last season during his first stint in the big leagues since 2007. But his grip on an Opening Day roster spot may be in jeopardy after he strained his left hamstring during a defensive drill earlier today.
According to Mark DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, Williams will likely be sidelined for at least the next few days and is scheduled to be examined by team physician Dr. Lewis Yocum tomorrow.
The Angels can afford to take some chances with Jered Weaver, Dan Haren, C.J. Wilson and Ervin Santana leading their rotation, but Williams is no sure thing to replicate his small sample of success last year. The 30-year-old right-hander likely has a battle on his hands even if he’s healthy, but right-handers Garrett Richards and Trevor Bell and left-hander Brad Mills would move up on the depth chart if he needs to miss significant time.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)