Mar 3, 2012, 4:02 PM EDT
Bartolo Colon resuscitated his career as a member of the Yankees last season after having fat and bone marrow stem cells injected into his elbow and shoulder. Now other players are looking to follow his lead.
According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, Kiko Calero is considering a similar procedure as he weighs a comeback attempt of his own.
Calero, now 37, didn’t pitch professionally last year and hasn’t appeared in the big leagues since posting a 1.95 ERA and 69/30 K/BB ratio over 60 innings with the Marlins in 2009. He had a 7.03 ERA in 15 relief appearances at the Triple-A level with the Mets and Dodgers in 2010.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12