Mar 3, 2012, 8:56 AM EST
The Rays have been extra careful with prized left-hander Matt Moore this week as he dealt with a lower abdominal strain, but he is finally close to getting back on a mound.
Moore has played catch each of the last three days without incident and Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that he’s scheduled to throw a bullpen session today.
Rays head athletic trainer Ron Porterfield told Bill Chastian of MLB.com that Moore will likely have two bullpen sessions before throwing live batting practice. Rays manager Joe Maddon hasn’t ruled out the possibility of him pitching in a game next week.
Moore had a 2.89 ERA and 15/3 K/BB ratio over 9 1/3 innings down the stretch with the Rays last season and allowed one run over 10 innings against the Rangers during the ALDS. The 22-year-old signed an extension with the Rays in December, so he is virtually assured of a spot in the starting rotation if healthy now that his service time is no longer an issue. Rays executive vice president Andrew Friedman recently confirmed that Moore will not be subject to an innings limit for his rookie season.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 2
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 29
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 89
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 44
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (92)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)