Mar 3, 2012, 8:56 AM EST
The Rays have been extra careful with prized left-hander Matt Moore this week as he dealt with a lower abdominal strain, but he is finally close to getting back on a mound.
Moore has played catch each of the last three days without incident and Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that he’s scheduled to throw a bullpen session today.
Rays head athletic trainer Ron Porterfield told Bill Chastian of MLB.com that Moore will likely have two bullpen sessions before throwing live batting practice. Rays manager Joe Maddon hasn’t ruled out the possibility of him pitching in a game next week.
Moore had a 2.89 ERA and 15/3 K/BB ratio over 9 1/3 innings down the stretch with the Rays last season and allowed one run over 10 innings against the Rangers during the ALDS. The 22-year-old signed an extension with the Rays in December, so he is virtually assured of a spot in the starting rotation if healthy now that his service time is no longer an issue. Rays executive vice president Andrew Friedman recently confirmed that Moore will not be subject to an innings limit for his rookie season.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)