Mar 3, 2012, 8:56 AM EST
The Rays have been extra careful with prized left-hander Matt Moore this week as he dealt with a lower abdominal strain, but he is finally close to getting back on a mound.
Moore has played catch each of the last three days without incident and Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that he’s scheduled to throw a bullpen session today.
Rays head athletic trainer Ron Porterfield told Bill Chastian of MLB.com that Moore will likely have two bullpen sessions before throwing live batting practice. Rays manager Joe Maddon hasn’t ruled out the possibility of him pitching in a game next week.
Moore had a 2.89 ERA and 15/3 K/BB ratio over 9 1/3 innings down the stretch with the Rays last season and allowed one run over 10 innings against the Rangers during the ALDS. The 22-year-old signed an extension with the Rays in December, so he is virtually assured of a spot in the starting rotation if healthy now that his service time is no longer an issue. Rays executive vice president Andrew Friedman recently confirmed that Moore will not be subject to an innings limit for his rookie season.
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 51
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 79
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 13
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 28
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 89
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)